1996 Yamaha 115 2stroke BUZZER enigma

bzimmy

Recruit
Lots of good information on here, but nothing yet that seemed to be my problem. For 4-5 months, buzzer came on after 4500 rpms, but would run solid all day. When the buzzer came on, motor would run really rough, take it down to idle and buzzer would turn off and motor back to running smooth. So, for a while, I kept it under 4200 rpms and recently started buzzing frequently, decided it was time to fix. In my infinite wisdom, :eek: I don't recall if was consistently the temperature alarm (only arrow flashing over the temp indicator) or what. But now it's definitely all three arrows flashing on the tach.

Replaced stats, buzzer would come on after 3800 and even when idling
Cleaned head covers and water jackets buzzer came on after 3800 and idling
Ensured poppet valve clean and spring looking good, buzzer still here
Unplugged both temp sensors, buzzer still there and motor ran rough
Note: when i touched the heads they were hot, but not 'that' hot and never any steam or anything like that coming out.

Another fun fact, the oil pump on the remote tank had gone out a long while back, so have been filling the oil in the engine tank directly. I know, I know, it's always been 'the next project'. Anyway, I know it's using oil because I always check before I go and when I come back to ensure it's not the problem.

Any ideas/suggestions on what would make would make the buzzer come on intermittently, with all 3 arrows flashing? Appreciate any help.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1996 Yamaha 115 2stroke BUZZER enigma

If I'm not mistaken, the lights on the tach are all for OIL, not temp!

When you put take the cap off the engine oil tank, are you sure you're getting the foam ring/seal out with the level sending unit? You may be using oil, but if that ring has gone "missing", it might not be using enough (the ring could be restricting flow of oil)...

I'm thinking oil instead of water issues on your problem...

bzimmy

Recruit

I was warned about that pesky little foam/rubber washer and make sure it comes out and placed back on the level sending unit before i cap it. Also, forgot to mention, serviced it a few months back, and have great water pressure.
There are 4 icons, one thing I thought was for temperature and you're right, the other 3 appear to be for the oil, but I'm not sure, if you say all are for oil, I appreciate the heads up.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

On mine, the temp warning light is on the speedo LCD.

The tach LCD shows me (from Left to Right), Low Oil Level / Oil Pressure / High (or good) Oil Level

bzimmy

Recruit

just double checked the manual online and mine from far left is the overheat warning indicator and the other three are oil level warning indicator. however, after thinking about it, since those 3 arrows were flashing, you're probably right...something is up with the oil. any ideas other than that foam seal?

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

Hmmm... Assuming that foam seal is where it should be and the oil is fed via gravity, I'm not really sure where to go, other than some restriction from the outlet from the tank to each carb... When is the last time you cleaned that engine mounted tank?

If it's clean, I'd start removing hoses one at a time, making sure each of them are clean and clear. Other than that, the issue goes deeper than I'd be comfortable giving advice about!

Sorry!

bzimmy

Recruit

Really appreciate the advice. Will try a few of those things, either way, will let you know how it turns out!