Troubleshooting older suzuki spirit ignition system

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone, well im getting underway with my new project even though the other ones are still considered projects... I could pass up this little 16hp suzuki Spirit motor for 50 bucks; now I just wanna get it running and learn a little more about these systems in the process... any philanthropic help would be greatly appreciated. I am experiencing a no-spark condition on this early eigthies? Suzuki spirit 16hp... (160002) is the only number that i can find anywhere on it. Im hoping that I can find some ignition parts for her if I need them.. I am as far as pulling the flywheel with a harmonic balancer puller ( my first one) and have taken the (timer base? not sure if thats correct term) plate off that is holding two coils? one, I believe is the ignition coil or main coil, the other smaller one is, I believe, is the ? lighting coil ? I think... ? I have also taken off the CDI unit and was thinking that if i test all of these parts and they work correctly or I replace them, Then i could get this thing back on the water for a few happy years... the motor looks very clean and has great even compression... however, back to my question; Only problem is that I cant couldn't get any spark form either of the plug wires/plugs... Does anybody know the correct procedure for testing these types of systems? do i need a peak reading volt meter, or can i just get away with my multi-meter? I have a manual on its way in the mail for a 1979 Suzuki spirit motor... from what it looks like i'm hoping that its the correct service manual so that I can get the correct ohms values to compare my tests to once i learn how exactly to do that... Any help out there? p.s if I somehow conclude that these coils are no good, are there replacements available without too muck trouble... thanks for any help to ya fellow boaters out there... im just trying to learn how to work on my own outboards so that I can have more fun and be safer on future boats that I may own... THANKS, matt