Suzuki DT140 trim power unit making squealing noise

mch28

Recruit
My Suzuki DT140's trim power unit makes a loud squealing noise when raising the trim. It isn't as loud while lowering, but I can hear it a little. The squeal seems to be coming from the pump beneath the trim motor and it vibrates and I can feel it vibrating the 4 lines coming from the pump. I'm pretty sure the motor is ok. The bearings are smooth and no signs of wear. It still operates, but I don't want to get stuck somewhere.

Any suggestions? I'm going to tear it further down tonight to see if anything stands out. I got the motor off of it last night.

Anyone seen/heard this before? I don't want to buy a new pump as they are @$600.

Thanks.:confused:

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki DT140 trim power unit making squealing noise

Check the fluid level. Better yet, tilt it full up, fill it up with power steering fluid, lower it, wait 5 minutes, raise it, fill it up, and repeat untill no other fluid will go in.

What you are hearing is the air moving around in the system.

mch28

Recruit

Since I had it halfway apart, I took the pump out to clean the screen and check it over. I put it back together and filled it up. Then raised it all the way and filled it some more. Lowered it and let it sit, raised and filled.

It is sounding better, but still a little noisy. Definately must be air in the line. I noticed when I would remove the fill plug, the fluid that would trickle out was filled with lots of little bubbles. I figured I would let it sit over night with the trim down to allow the air to seperate to the top of the reservoir and repeat the process tonight.

Is there another way to remove all the air? It seems like it is mixing the air back into the fluid when I raise it up.

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

A real tech might know of a bltter way but that is what the service manual says to do. Don't check the level until you have let it sit for 5 minutes in the up position unless you are doing that already. Be patent, you will get the air worked out.

robert graham

Admiral

manual says while filling and purging of air to raise and lower motor by hand, as the pump/motor just stirs up the air in the fluid...that makes sense to me. you have to release that manual tilt/trim screw on the side of motor backet in order to do it by hand. book also mentions Dexron11 automatic transmission fluid to add. Good Luck!

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good point Robert. When I did mine a while back I used a chain hoist. I forgot. That darn thing is so heavy it would take the Hulk to lift it.