Service / Repair Manual Recommendation - '87 40hp Yamaha

geronimo2121

Cadet
Can anyone recommend a service/repair manual for an '87 Yamaha 40hp.

I've searched previous posts.

It seems that some people say that Seloc and other non-factory manuals are not detailed for each engine.

Any recommendations on what to get?

Engine has been sitting approx. 2 years. Was able to start it after MUCH pulling (10 minutes). Shut it down to attach water, couldn't restart.

Thinking I have to give it once over...spark plugs, clean fuel filter, change oil, clean carbs. I'm a novice to engine work and appreciate any advice. Thanks!

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Service / Repair Manual Recommendation - '87 40hp Yamaha

I use Seloc for the 1996 Pro 50 and it has been ok. Pictures are helpfull even if the procedures are sometimes vague, but good over all.

For the F150 is use the Yamaha manual.

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the Yammy service manuals and the Seloc and sometimes find it useful to look at the pictures and read the comments on procedures in the Seloc but the service manual is my go to book.

geronimo2121

Cadet

Thanks for the replies!

Thought no one responded b/c I thought I'd be notified via e-mail if responses came in...checked back and 3 replies. Thanks for the advice.

Will check out the link to purchase. $4.99 is the least expensive I've found...wonder what type of manual it is? Seloc, Clymer or Factory.

In my research, I read a few reviews of people not too happy with the Seloc manual (which they said was a "Chilton" manual - "known for low standards in the industry"). They recommended going with Clymer...Anyone else have the same experience?

Thanks again.

robert graham

Admiral

I bought a Clymer Manual a couple of weeks ago for about $30 on line from a place in Florida that specializes in outboard motor books and have really enjoyed studying it. seems to have plenty of details, comments, pictures, wiring diagrams, etc. I'm not a technician by any stretch, but I do know how to maintain a motor so it will run dependably and avoid costly trips to the repair shop, and I do continue to learn as I go. I've had 4 Yamahas so far and never a problem with any of them. clean, fresh, stabilized gas is a key thing. Good Luck!

geronimo2121

Cadet

Robert, thanks for the feedback on the Clymer manual. Sounds like a pretty good one. Taking note of your suggestions regarding gas (fresh, clean, stabilized).

I went ahead and downloaded the manual from Markins' link above...I thought for $4.99 can't go too wrong. Just FYI for anyone else who comes across this thread...the link is to the SELOC manual. I'm going through it right now...

Does anyone know where I can find the Yamaha factory manual for '87 40hp 2stroke? Searched all over internet, can't seem to find it.

Anyone have it in pdf file?