Suzuki DF4 Cold Blooded?

nwpaconcours

Recruit
I have a used (new-to-me) DF4 outboard. Did routine maintenance (drained/replaced gas, changed engine/lower unit lube and impeller). There was a lot of gas in engine oil, but don't know how long it had been since last oil change.

Engine is very very cold blooded. Until its been running about 10 minutes it sputters/stalls and is stubborn to restart. But after about 10 minutes of being tempermental it settles in and can idle around the rest of the day.

Is this normal for this engine? I have to believe a gummed carb would be finicky both cold and warm. Gas cap is rusty underneath, thinking vent was plugged (starving carb) tried running with cap off, no impact.

I don't want to tear down the carb if its not the issue, so I'm just trying to confirm the "normal" behavior of this engine from anyone else who has experience with it. Thanks.

100MileGuy

Cadet
Re: Suzuki DF4 Cold Blooded?

sounds like the piston rings are good and worn if your getting fuel in your oil, its slipping past the piston rings into the crank case,
would explain why it runs good when warm, rings/piston expand when hot and make better compression...

do a compression test on it and check what the psi should be and compair it...