1985 15hp Yamaha no water out of tell tale

NYT

Cadet
Hi.I have a 15hp Yamaha that runs good but has no water spitting out of the tell tale.I pulled apart the lower unit and checked the water pump impeller and it is fine.I also checked the thermostat and ran it without it installed and still no water.I ran some stiff wire up the tell tale hole but it seems clear.When the motor runs it is luke warm to the touch so I think it is circulating water but I'm concerned about the tell tale.It only drips a little water out and also puts out exhaust smoke here.Is this normal?Should it stream constantly?Thanks.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: 1985 15hp Yamaha no water out of tell tale

yes it must be a stong stream .... do you have the correct hole there? you must wiggle a thin wire in there while the motor is running ...

rcmickey

Seaman
Re: 1985 15hp Yamaha no water out of tell tale

Gent's I need your help!!! I have 100HP 1991 4 cylinder Mariner that does not pee. I have pulled out the thermostat and replaced the impeller and still no pee. I even pulled out the pop-it valve and ran it with out it. Still no pee. The motor runs cool on the muffs and idles all day without getting hot, but no pee ever comes out. I did get it to pee out the little hole in the pop-it valve, thermostat cover when they were not in, but the cover was on. So what gives???? :confused:

deusky

Recruit
1986 9.9hp Yamaha no water out of tell tale

1986 9.9hp Yamaha no water out of tell tale

New member here! I have a 1986 9.9SJ with a very similar problem...no pee stream. I checked the impeller; it looked fine, but I replaced it anyway. Still no stream. Then checked the tstat; it came out in pieces. It seemed like a no-brainer at that point. Replaced the tstat...still no stream. Then replaced the drive shaft to impeller key, to be sure the impeller wasn't slipping on the shaft. Still no stream. Tried running it with the tstat removed. Still no stream. I can blow air through the entire cooling system (intake to outlet) no problem, so it seems there is no clog. After running it and looking in the tstat housing, it is completely dry, so it seems water is not making it up there. I've let it run a few minutes like this. It gets hot, but not overly so. Is it possible the cooling water lines didn't align properly when I reinstalled the lower unit. Does it take longer than a few minutes to prime the cooling system and see water flow? Could there be a leak around the pump housing causing water to just flow into the lower unit instead of through the cooling system? Any other ideas? Thigs to check? Thanks in advance!