Yamaha 15 hp fell off trailer at 60 mph: Repair or sell?

tedg

Recruit
My 15 hp yamaha, 1998, fell off my trailer, while I was doing 60. There's minor damage to the pull cord plastic housing. The main damage is in the lower unit: Prop is trashed. Shaft is out of true, and the fin is broken off. I dare say the top of the motor looks pristine, and fresh, and someone who looked at it said it looked like it hadn't logged too many hours, considering it's age.

So I've got a quote of around $700-$800 to rebuild and replace this damage, with the understanding that it might go up, if more issues come up.
In my humble opinion the way to fix this simply would be to replace the whole lower unit, but the guy said this brings me up to the $1500 range.

The guy also said he'd give me $100 as a trade-in. My question is, how much could I get this on an open market, such as here, for this motor? I'm thinking maybe I should buy another used 15 hp motor, and sell this one for parts.

But I'm a newbie. I don't know from nuthin'.

Thanks, in advance.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha 15 hp fell off trailer at 60 mph: Repair or sell?

I would definitely be looking for a used lower unit on ebay but it might take some time for one to pop up so be patient.
If you can't find one you might try and find an identical motor in your parts compatibility years range and keep one of them for parts.
I would list it on ebay with the lower unit removed before I sold it for $100.
Yamaha used to make Mercury/Mariner motors so find out if Yamaha made 15 hp outboards for Merc that year and you will have a broader area to search.
Also a 9.9 outboard will probably work but make sure before you buy one.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Yamaha 15 hp fell off trailer at 60 mph: Repair or sell?

You can fix it and it should be fine, the cowling protects the motor to a certain extent, I had my motor (50hp yamaha) fall from the boat (it was lying flat in the boat) on the way to a race inland, we rebuilt that motor through the night and I won the race the next day ..... happy times ...