2006 Yamaha F115- metal rattling noise

hawilson2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When running I hear what sounds like metal rattling. It changes with speed. I am guessing a loose cover of some sort. Any ideas?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2006 Yamaha F115- metal rattling noise

try pumping the fuel primer while its rattling, if there is a fuel restriction or an air leak the fuel pump will tap like a loose rocker arm on an old chevy.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

thanks Rodbolt I was just getting ready to ask this question but searched first. I was going to describe my noise as like my 68 mustang with a stuck lifter! Or like my Chevy pulling a load uphill.
Mine (2003 150 TXRB) does it occasionally, on acceleration and in the 2000-3000 range which it doesn't like. But I'm also not getting my top end. I found a tiny drip at the seperator so I need to reseal that fitting, and get a passenger to pump my ball while I drive. Will post results.

robert graham

Admiral

my 90HP Yamaha had a rattle similar to that and it turned out to be under the engine cover where the control cables connect with their respective controls, there was just a bit of play at those black plastic pieces and it would rattle at different RPM's. I ended up wrapping a piece of that plastic spiral cable wrap around those 2 cables just inside the big motor cable grommet and it just eliminated that rattle. I hope that turns out to be your rattle! Good luck!