1990 Suzuki DT40. Cannot get to the waterpump

Bolumko

Recruit
I'm very new to boat motor repair and am trying to do all the work myself since I'm out of a job and am planning on using the boat to provide food for the family. The boat was given to me in exchange for some web-site designing I'm doing. It's a 13.5' Boston Whaler with a 1990 Suzuki DT40 on it. I rebuilt the carburetor and was thrilled to be able to do that since I've never done anything like that before.

I am now trying to rebuild the waterpump and removed the 6 bolts holding the lower unit on. In reverse, the unit does not come down. In neutral, the unit drops about 1 inch. In forward, it drops about 2 inches. As you know, this is not sufficient to be able to get to the waterpump. Is there another screw/nut that needs to be removed?

The motor has not been run in about 5 years. It starts up fine now that I rebuilt the carburetor. Its peeing but not great (that could be because I'm using the ears on it) so I figured I'd change the waterpump. I'd appreciate any help you can give. Thank you!

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: 1990 Suzuki DT40. Cannot get to the waterpump

put 2 of the lower unit bolts back in (one on either side) so it sits where it should, then put in forward gear .... at the back of the lower unit you will see a shift rod and you will see the shift cam where you can disconnect it, once that's done the lower unit will drop all the way ....

Bolumko

Recruit
Re: 1990 Suzuki DT40. Cannot get to the waterpump

I'm sorry, but I don't see what you're talking about. I spent a good part of the afternoon frustrated with this. I did what you said as far as putting the bolts in, putting the lower unit on so it sits as it should, and putting it in forward but do not see the shift rod or cam as you're saying. I also tried to release it by lowering it down and looking above the waterpump to see if that's where the release was. Unfortunately, I don't see anything there either. I looked at schematics of the motor but couldn't figure it out from there either. I'm sure this is my fault and may have even given you the wrong motor. The serial number on the motor is 04003 013834. I think that means it's a 1990 Suzuki dt40. I don't have the money to take it to a shop and would hate for this thing to sit in my yard because of my ignorance. Thanks in advance for your help.