1986 Yamaha 150 Steering Shaft Lube

wburge14

Recruit
Can someone provide a diagram of the 1986 Yamaha 150 Steering Shaft? There doesn't appear to be a Lube fitting for the top, and I wonder if there is a bearing at the top of the shaft or only at the bottom.

Thanks for helping!:confused::confused:

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1986 Yamaha 150 Steering Shaft Lube

There was no grease fitting for that shaft by the manufacturer, but there were several aftermarket grease fittings that you could add.
Those shafts would freeze solid if left for a few months without operating. The aftermarket fittings helped cure that...

Fortec Five

Cadet

I have a '87 150 Pro V Yamaha, and if you find a "grease nipple" on the engine to lubricate the steering shaft, let me know. If there is a such a grease fitting, Yamaha surely designed it so no one would find it.

wburge14

Recruit

Thanks, Triumphrick and Fortec Five. I bought the boat/motor about 15 years ago. Maybe the first owner had a Zerk fitting (grease nipple) added, but I doubt it. The fitting on my motor is on the right side of the motor pivot shaft tube, down about two-thirds of the way to the bottom. As I said, I would like to see a shop manual diagram of the pivot shaft assembly. Know where I could get one? I wonder if there is a bearing at the top of the shaft or only at the bottom. When I insert grease into the Zerk fitting, I see old grease exit at the bottom of the shaft but not at the top.

wburge14

Recruit

Perhaps I mis-stated my problem. I am looking for a diagram of the vertical shaft/tube that allows the engine to turn, not the shaft that allows the engine to tilt. Any help?

Fortec Five

Cadet

In my reply, I was referring to the steering shaft bearing lubricating purposes. I have a Yamaha Pro V 150 manual, but it doesn't show in the diagram any grease nipples for lubrication. Besides, the diagram is very poorly illustrated in the manual.

You can go on-line at Boats.net and get a copy of the steering shaft area.

There are "2" zerks for this year of Pro V 150. The first one as mentioned earlier in this feed for the steering shaft is correct, with both being factory installed. It is identified by a ground wire leading to it. If you are lucky enough it will be covered by a rubber boot. This single zerk lubricates both the top and bottom of the shaft.The same goes for the tilt shaft. Again there is a ground wire leading to it. Both are on the starboard side, with the tilt zerk facing the same direction as the carbs. You may need to remove the steering cables to access the tilt zerk as I do. Both need to be greased. Hope this is helpful.