Yamaha F20 acceleration prob?

bitsmith2k

Recruit
hey guys, i've got an 08 F20, which ran flawless up till the weekend prior to this past..

at the end of the day i was coming off plane (going past a marina).. when i got through the marina area, i go to get back up to speed and she just didnt have it in her, she wouldnt get to anywhere near a planing speed..

i put the electric down, and we fished the area, the motor worked fine on our way back to the launch..

yesterday it did the same thing, but i hadnt been running it all day.. just dropped the boat in, let it warm up, and took off.. we were fine till i came down off the plane to figure out where we wanted to go, then couldnt get it back up..

i've been out a few times this year, running the motor quite a bit with no similar probs..

could it be weeds on the prop? (noticed it had a mess on it when i trailered the boat).. or something else? when i happens, the boat kinda feels like there's an extra 500lbs of people in it..

any ideas?
thanks
mike

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha F20 acceleration prob?

I guess if it was weeks the easy check would be to look. But it appears to be a different problem than that. But since we have no idea what you've checked we can't offer much assistance. Water in the fuel, bad plugs, carburetion issues, spark issues, overheating at idle which triggers the rev limiter to 2500 rpm or so are all possibilities. Water pump working????

bitsmith2k

Recruit
Re: Yamaha F20 acceleration prob?

hey silvertip, thanks for the quick reply..

i know the week prior i pulled weeds off and still did the same thing..

umm, not a very mechanically inclined person, but its definately peeing good..

neither of the warning lights go on, nothing buzzes..

maybe i should just take it to a mechanic..

edit:
should also say that when it happens, it revs up fine in neutral..