94 yamaha 115 oil injection events and issues

Rampfever

Cadet
Model p115 TLRS
History: went to start motor at ramp battery dead. Replaced with new.
returned to lake ran motor a hour every thing ok. trailered unit 4.5 hrs fished three lakes in three days. On third day Motor trimed up all the way in shallow water I noticed oil running out of power head cowling (2cyl). Did not start it.Used 9.9 to get to dock which I was at for a week of fishing. Removed cowling, saw cap poped up on oil tank. Ok this is where oil came from. At this point I know nothing of this system. So i noticed a knoch in cap which it was straight above where it was supposed to be. Pushed it back down, cleaned motor check remote tank oil. It was at or near bottm. Added oil.
Started motor got to deep water to lower it down for take off. Motor went to 2000 rpm and that was it. No aludilbe alarms or any thing wrong in dash. pulled cover ,cap poped up again.Push it back down started motor up it ran great. At this point I still no nothing of this system but I,m learning quick. At dock read owners books.It was some what help full. I over filled the main engine tank with toggle switch everything seems fine. next day it will not go above 2000 rpm or so. Pulled cowling again cap popped up again. So i pushed it back down. It ran fine all day. Next day it would not do above 2000 rpm.( cap was not pop up this time. Pulled boat came home pissed off. Got on Iboats forums and started training myself. Ok I ran the oil test that every body refers to here on this site cleaned tank etc. Even ohm out the main tank sensor all three swtich tested ok. At this point control module suspect. All alarms worked. I how ever have not checked power read on any leads. Which is next. I also would like help on the ohm specs for the trim switch which is in question due to rpm loss.
( Now you know what really happens) I know now I could of lost this engine by what I,ve read on this forum and in that trouble shooting topic I pulled off here.
Need pointed in another direction or the correct one.

Rampfever

Cadet
Re: 94 yamaha 115 oil injection events and issues

Quick referance to 1st post.

System was full of oil when this happen.
It was first trip to ramp of the year. (battery was charged) , turned out it was junk.
System seems to pass all test done per the trouble shooting link found on this forum.
Boat does have two other batterys that are linked per disconnect. I do'nt use these as a rule with motor battery. It set up with battery for motor only ( well almost). All equipment power comes from duel batterys.

Rampfever

Cadet

Power check on main harness that plugs into oil controller was 12.75 w/key on.

engine harness colors y,br,gb,gr,bk,and blue

Tank colors gray,orange,pink,black.

trim switch wire colors, pink ,black, and orange

Trim switch ohms , black to pink 236, black to orange 526 moved trim arm up and down with leade on pink and orange got low to high readings 526n to 0. Note: I think this switch is working , but i'm not sure if it working correctly since i,m not sure how to check it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

stop stop stop.
your colots are wrong for what your attempting.
trim on a V4 has NOTHING to do with oil transfer.
battery voltage will though, let it get below about 9V and the transfer pump turns on.
the connectors your looking for to the remote tank should be a 4 pin connector with a blue,brown,black and black red.
brown should have 12V at key on, blue is the current ground path for the brown to turn on the pump.
path is controlled by the oil control module or the manual switch.
black is the ground for the remote level(yellow lamp) and black red is for the lamp and module.
if the switch or a wire is open no automatic oil transfer will occur and manual is allowed.
check your audible to insure it works as thats what limited you to 2000 is the CDI got a low engine level alarm.
make sure the oil screen vent is correctly positioned on the switch assy and the tank vent line is clear.
incorrect screen vent placement will cause this issue.

Rampfever

Cadet

Thanks for the post rodbolt.

Update ,pulled water trap off oil tank on motor let oil level come down note: i had key on until I heard pump kick on in the boat tank, let oil level go down to low level line. Turned key back on and got the horn alarm. pumped kicked on also. I,v never heard this alarm during rpm reduction.
I checked the. 1/16 or so vent line in top of tank that hangs down behind it for a plug ( it was free, i blew threw it).

The screen and seal where in proper position on the 3 switch sensor on tank. I did tilt it by hand and watch the float move back and fourth freely. Took screen off and wiped down the shaft of it. Seemed clean to me. Note: screen has never been off this unit until now. I also seen some light sludge in tank, removed tank and cleaned with soap and water.

To follow up on the wiring colors i gave you. Boat oil tank is a 4 pin connector
that changes colors in the connector on harness at tank that goes up to the engine
The colors black red to gray threw connector,brown to orange threw connector
blue to pink threw connector and last black on black. This harness does plug back in at engine with same colors i belive that was on tank connector side.

The brown wire at remote tank did have 12.08V with key on.

Update on the cap popping up events from first post. I did not mention the engine tank had over filled which I belive may of led to the cap popping up in all the events except for the last one it just went into rpm reduction mode. I,m thinking controller or 3 switch sensor.

I also need resource for purchasing these parts when needed.

Rampfever

Cadet
Re: 94 yamaha 115 oil injection (update with question on new part)

Re: 94 yamaha 115 oil injection (update with question on new part)

Purchased new control module and it has one extra wire that is supposed to be hooked into the pulser coil with a new section of wireing harness. it also came with new heavy duty spark plug wire caps.

Question do i need to hook the extra wire up? Whats this wire for.
Do I need to put on the spark plug wire caps?If so why?

This module replaces severl year units instruction are not clear.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yes, the EXTRA wire MUST be hooked up as its the engine running signal for the control module.
yes the new plug caps MUST be used as they are now resistor caps to aide in EMI interference to the new module.
no engine running signal means NO automatic oil transfer.

Rampfever

Cadet

Update: Oil controll module install complete. #test 1 plugged everything in got red, yellow and green after turning key on tank begain to fill came up to lower level on engine tank red, yellow, and alram light went off tank filled to upper level and stopped.
Took to lake ran motor at low idle for 5 to 10 minutes noticed a little blue smoke indicating oil was goin to carbs. Started to bring boat up thre rpm range and at 2700 it fell on it face (bogging). Ok tryed a half doxzen more times with no luck.
Thinking back when when oil system went into engine protection mode it seemed to be around 1900 rpm.
Note: oil cap did not come off or over pump during this first test.
So thinking about what it could be I got it back to house today and screwed the filter off thats on side of engine and found particles in filter housing, pulled filter off and found black stuff inside filter it self. Cleaned filter bowl out and filter re-installed. pulled pick up tube out of 32 gallon tank to check screen , it was clean.
Took back to lake for test #2 Took off from ramp it went up on plain and i kept it about 3300 for 15 minutes then incresed , had a helper watching the main oil tank on engine to make sure i was using oil. Then ran it up to 5100rpm
and idled back down. At this point everything seems to be fine, went to go back up threw rpm range and motor hit 27-to 2900 rpm and bogged. I worked it threw this time by pulling back on throttle and then it took off. Played around with it a while knowing I have anoth problem that has happed at the same time of oil control problem.

At this point I,m thinking i have oil problem fixed but not sure due to this bogging event that I do not think is a safety coming on,I get no alrms or lights.
Any thoughts here would be great.

Note: if pick up tube sucks air from tank will this bogging acurr? I,m know wondering if the fuel pump may be needing overhauled.

Thanks for the reply ROD BOLT on controller.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

clean your carbs,replace or clean and rebuild your pump(it holds trash too) and check fuel system vacum.

Rampfever

Cadet

its funny I threw the hell mary at it today before you repled back (ROD bolt) started at 8:eek:oam got done at 7:30pm
task completed . pulled one plug on top carb particles cam out so i pulled both of them off clean down cleaned pulled all jets and any thing i could. Found in top right fuel bowl air supply jet dirt plugged on one side and fuel bowl lower brrass jet the out to bowl from jet was plugged solid. Other areas in bowls had some particles. ( put back together and then pulled fuel pump and tore down found nothing.
Then pulled floor of boat pumped the tank dry looked in it for dirt seen a little not bad.
Also pulled plugs and found the correct plug in it but was concerned that the last two numbers of plug were supposed to have 10 on them, they did not. Found out this is means wide cap. So have them ordered along with fuel filter for in line. Hope to test run Sat. Wanting to fish on lake Mi in a week.

Rod bolt OR ANY BODY HOW DO YOU CHECK FUEL VACUM?
THANKS MIKE

Rampfever

Cadet

Ok, I installed a water seperator filter system from yamaha dealer 10 micron.
Istalled new plugs and primed up system ,also added ring free to fuel.

THE TEST RUN WAS SUCESSFULL BOAT RAN GOOD THREW ALL RPMS EXCEPT
COMING OFF 700 TO 13OO IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS RUNNING ROUGH DROPPING CYCLINDER, 700 DOWN TO 500 IT PERS LIKE A KITTEN. FROM 1300 ON IT RUNS GREAT.
OIL INJECTION WORKING LIKE IT SHOULD ALSO.

ITS USABLE NOW BUT SINCE I FOUND IBOATS FORUMS I SEEM TO BE ABLE TO WORK THREW ALL ISSUES SO FAR. THANKS ALOT FOR HELP ROD BOLT.

NOW I WILL READ ON TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE LOW RPM ROUGH RUNNING.

I'm starting new post for this due to conditions found.