yamaha 2002 200 hp 2 stroke

glb

Recruit
any advice on buying a boat with a ' 2002' 200 HP yamaha 2 stroke engine with 800-900 hours. good engine or bad engine?
glb

robert graham

Admiral
Re: yamaha 2002 200 hp 2 stroke

fresh water or salt water?..has it been maintained by the previous owner or "just run it until it quits" and then repaired? any history of specific problems with this motor?...may be a great motor, depending on price. if you're getting it at a great price, then you could spend some time and money bringing the maintenance up to date...new water pump, change oil in foot, new plugs,etc. Good luck!

PBJohn

Seaman

Have the engine surveyed along with the boat. Any maintenance records the previous owners has are a plus.

glb

Recruit

the engine was used in salt water mostly for trolling. it wqs well maintained and no history of any problems. I was hoping to hear from any one with experience with that outboard good or bad

tonynorie

Cadet

I have a 2001 200 HPDI and it's been flawless. Also, other owners of the motor that I've talked with have had the same experience and what I read is that it's considered to be an excellent motor - "bulletproof" is the description I've read more than once.

As was already expressed, the degree to which it's been properly maintained has a lot to do with it's condition and if it were me I'd definately spend the money to get it surveyed before buying. If you do get it inspected and end up buying it, you'll already know what it needs to bring it up to tip-top operating condition.

Good luck!