Help!! Suzuki dt40 Keeps Cutting Out No Power

Hi People, I Have A Suzuki dt40 , it Was Running Fine When All Of A Sudden At Full Throttle It Keeps Cutting Out And Very Difficult To Start Back Up, And Sometimes It Runs At Low Speed Even If Im At Full Throttle Position, Im So Confused As To What The Problem Could Be, I Would Be Most Grateful If Somebody Could Shine Some Light On The Situation, Thankyou, Dean........

PS. IVE BEEN TOLD THAT ITS A TWO STROKE ENGINE IS THIS TRUE??? BECAUSE IF SO IVE HAD NO TWO STROKE OIL IN THE ENGINE.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help!! Suzuki 40hp Keeps Cutting Out No Power

Re: Help!! Suzuki 40hp Keeps Cutting Out No Power

The list of potential issues is very long since all you've provided us with is a few symptoms. There are some very simple checks you can do to limit the problem to one of three systems which are:

1) Fuel
2) General engine mechanical
3) Spark

Fuel Related (not necessarily in order of probability):
1) Weak or failing fuel pump
2) Clogged fuel filter
3) Air leak in fuel lines
4) Fuel tank not vented properly or vent plugged
5) In need of carb rebuilding
6) Water in fuel or old fuel

General Engine Mechanical:
1) Low compression (do a compression check)
2) Overheat warning system not functioning so engine is overheating without you knowing it.
3) Leaking intake/crankcase gaskets causing lean condition leading to overheating.
4) Overheat due to stuck thermostats or bad water pump impeller

Spark Related:
1) No spark/weak spark on one or more cylinders
2) Bad coil(s)
3) Need a change of spark plugs?
4) Stator going bad

joeseif

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Help!! Suzuki dt40 Keeps Cutting Out No Power

did you find the problem mine does stuff like yours

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Hi People, I Have A Suzuki dt40 , it Was Running Fine When All Of A Sudden At Full Throttle It Keeps Cutting Out And Very Difficult To Start Back Up, And Sometimes It Runs At Low Speed Even If Im At Full Throttle Position, Im So Confused As To What The Problem Could Be, I Would Be Most Grateful If Somebody Could Shine Some Light On The Situation, Thankyou, Dean........

PS. IVE BEEN TOLD THAT ITS A TWO STROKE ENGINE IS THIS TRUE??? BECAUSE IF SO IVE HAD NO TWO STROKE OIL IN THE ENGINE.

If you have run a 2 stoke with out oil you have pretty well toasted the motor. A compression test will tell you how bad and more

Billten

Cadet

I had similar problems although I had oil in the engine. I replaced the water pump and have good flow. The problem with these motors is that on some of them, the overheat buzzer does not work. So you don't know the engine is overheating. Make sure you have water coming out of the back and side of the motor when the motor is in a trash can filled with water. Just because you have water coming out when the motor is hooked up to the muffs doesn't mean the water pump is working. The hose pressure alone can still make it look like the water pump is pumping. Do a compression check.