86 suzuki dt 115 intermitent loss of power

sburton1

Cadet
Hi All I recently purchased a 86 challanger bass boat with a 87 dt 115. It starts up great at the highest idle setting, and has no problem running at idle. some times It seems it wont accelerate to full rpm and some times it will. this past weekend it was running fine for most of the day and then the last time I went to start it up and take off it bogged down and the fastest I could get it up to was 30mph usually its arround 45 to 50. It sounds kinda weak and the boat will not plain out very easy. I sprayed out the carbs a little and checked all the throttle linkage. while I had it running I lightly sprayed the carb bodies and the motor would bog down, I was thinking maby a vacume leak but their arent any vacume lines. I changed out the fuel filter aswell. Im kinda puzzled any ideas?:confused:some times it runs great and some times not

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 86 suzuki dt 115 intermitent loss of power

The experts will probably suggest you get the carbs rebuilt and double check your fuel supply and filters first then go from there. You will have to eliminate possible causes one at a time and when it comes to boating unfortunatly nothing is cheap...

sburton1

Cadet

I checked the compression last night 120 on all cylinders, changed the fuel filter. I did notice it choughs a little at idle out of the water. I gonna take it out this weekend and see if it does it again. I most likly take the carbs apart and clean them really well and drain the gass tank to make sure their is no water in it. kinda sux cause it in prime fishing season here in alabama!

sburton1

Cadet

Ok so I went out today and it ran for a while then I got stuck on the lake for a while till I got it running again. It seems like itll run ok untill I put the prop down under reall far then when I try to accelerate it boggs down really bad out of the water it kinda revs ok. Im gonna drain the gas tank take the carbs apart and clean them and by pass the oil system and start mixing my own gas. Any other ideas what it might be besides the carbs?

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

that cough you have is a lean sneeze indicative of trash in your carbs or in need of fuel pump replacement.
Most likely your carbs need to be cleaned... specifically the main jets.

sburton1

Cadet

thanks for the info guys I did find lots of trash in the carbs it dosent have a fuel pump just a difram pump that im going to replace aswell It dosent seem to be working right its very slow to fill back to shape. I plan on removing the oil injection whats the correct oil ratio 50:1 ? I already removed the oil tank and capped all the lines. thanks again for all the help guys.

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

50:1 is what I believe it calls for but when mixing my own gas I like to lean to 40:1 personally. May I ask why you unhooked the oil?

sburton1

Cadet

I unhooked the oil because the sensor dosent work and its an older motor, im afraid the oil injection setem is gonna go tits up on me. my last boat the oil injection went out and burned the motor up on me so im a little parinoid now i guess.

aztecrich

Cadet

Hey Waffles, Am I wrong? you said you leaned to 40:1? to me 40:1 adds more oil than 50:1
Please correct me if Im wrong ok?

Thanks