Yamaha 225 4-Stroke Powerhead Blown

NPursuit1

Recruit
I took my twin 2002 225 4-Strokes (850 hours) into the shop to have them clean my VST filter on my starboard engine which was giving me problems; it was dirty so I had them clean my port engine even though it was running fine; no issues at all with that engine but since my starboard was clogged I thought it was a good idea to have them clean my port while they had it. They said it was spotless but when they put it back together and started the port engine it ran for about 2 minutes and threw a piston rod; a hole about the size of a dime and about about a 6" crack in the block. The mechanic said he never left the dock.

I've asked for the ECM to tell me what was happening at the time but I have not received it yet.

Question is; is there something that the mechanic could have done to cause this or was it just coincidence?

I don't know how cleaning the VST could cause this but thought I would put it out there just in case there is a connection......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 225 4-Stroke Powerhead Blown

cant think of anything a simple service may have caused.
would need to see pics of the piston,the cyl bore and the connecting rod.

NPursuit1

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 225 4-Stroke Powerhead Blown

No pic's but the piston rod was broken clean in half. No damage to head just took out the block.