1992 yamaha engine problem help!!!!

1992 yamaha 50hp pro when engine starts up motor sounds fine. except i can hear a squeeking sound under the flywheel the motor rocks back & forth then locks up fly wheel will not turn? but i turn the flywheel backwards then forward then comes unstuck & starts back up yanked the lower unit off & still does it so the lower unit has been ruled out. i think it has something to do with the motor. i was night fishing when this happened.i was just idling along and this happened. can somebody please help, me & the wife n kids cant wait to get back on the water

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1992 yamaha engine problem help!!!!

Sounds like you burned out your motor--no oil or water. What's your oil status?

did a compression test cylinder 1 (86)
cylinder 2 (105) cylinder 3 (106) I dont know much about boat motors (rookie)

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey!!! I just had this same problem!!! Im so glad i can help someone. This is the thing. You'll have to open up your engine. You'll find that the upper main bearing is broken. The metals that keep the rollers inside the bearing in place have broken off and are causing the engine to lock up.
When it happened to me i would do the same thing, move the fly wheel by hand and it would start up again.
You'll have to take the crankshaft to a machine shop so they can rectify the upper part where the bearing rolls since it has surely been damaged.
You'll also have to check all the little lubrication holes which maight have been the cause of the damage to the bearing. Apparently they get clogged some times, i dont know. Mine were because water went in there but thats another story. If you want send me PM so i can give you the details.

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i was night fishing when this happened.i was just idling along and this happened.

Yeap! Thats what happened to me, and i got to the conclussion that it has to happen only in idel cus if it had happened while at WOT we wouldnt have an engine right now. The damage would have been so severe that the engine would have been wrecked. In idel, the friction caused by the broken bearing is enough to stop and lock the engine, but not at WOT, just imagine the engine suddenly stop while at WOT, we would have had broken connecting rods, probably bent crankshafts, i dont know, i dont even want to think about it lol.