Yamaha 90 4 stroke oil leak

eyeguy1226

Recruit
Today I noticed what appears to be engine oil leaking from the water intake on the lower unit of my 2003 Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke. Any idea what the problem might be?

SEAPRO170DC99

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 90 4 stroke oil leak

I have a Suzuki Df70 1999 and i am having the same type of problem. Engine oil is leaking down the water intake tube and out the intake screens on the lower unit. Thought it was lower unit oil but turned out to be engine oil. Make sure it is engine oil and not lower unit oil. If it is lower unit oil then take it to a Yamaha service center and they should figure the problem out rather quickly. If it is engine oil then there is a problem. Unfortunatly i have no solution, i had a Suzuki dealer check the motor out and no problems were found. They think there is a crack somewhere in the powerhead. Some how oil is getting into the water intake tube but no water is getting into the oil. Please post if you are able to find out anything because I am out of ideas...

smokewagon

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 90 4 stroke oil leak

For the Yamaha there is a recall for that, I think it is the oil pump gasket, it happened to mine in 2001. They put in a new oil pump for free.

smokewagon,