Suzuki 1987 DT 85 ignition problem CDI?

Rybrown

Cadet
I have a 1987 DT85 that has a good hot spark for about 10 sec while cranking then grows dimmer,then completely out.when immediately restarting there is no spark.Let it set for a few minutes it will have a good spark for about 10 sec again.Does this sound like a CDI problem.

douglasreed

Cadet
Re: Suzuki 1987 DT 85 ignition problem CDI?

I'm new to this forium, but shounds like it might be the ignition coil that reads good when cold but has a break when heated up. I've experenced this myself.
Take an ohm reading across the coil when cold then after a startup and run take again, if it's open then closes as it gets cold that's it.
Best of luck.
douglasreed

douglasreed

Cadet

Sorry I had that backwards, when it's hot the coil should read open, as it cools you should bet resistance.
douglasreed

Rybrown

Cadet

Thanks for the response.It has 3 coils and they all do the same thing.

Rybrown

Cadet

I think I have found the ignition problem .It was a loose connection or low battery,but now it has good blue spark that jumps 3/8 of inch on all 3 coils .I must have a fuel problem if it won't start.Going to get good gas and new plugs and start from there.This is a motor that belongs to my daughter .They took it to a shop that told them that they thought it had a bad CDI .So now I have to start over troubleshooting.