1995 Suzuki 85 HP Oil Injected Outboard help?

JDK426

Cadet
Hi just found this forum. Anyways i know nothing about outboards and figured i might give it a shot here. I purchased a boat with this motor on it. Motor ran fine when i purchased it (with ears on it). So the boat has been setting up for awhile 2-3 months ive been busy as busy gets with work. Today i goto the lake....and TROUBLE ...might be minor or major im not quite sure. Hopefully someone here can give me some insight. Anyways crank boat idle's fine at first then starts to bog down especially when you try to back up or throttle up to accelerate. So basically crank boat goto accelerate bogs down stalls out and dies. A few times it squeeked before it died out. Any insite on this would be greatly appreciated. THanks,Jerry

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: 1995 Suzuki 85 HP Oil Injected Outboard help?

Welcome to the forum :) .... sounds like you need to give those carbs a good clean ......

James R

Commander

JDK, DJC is absolutely correct. Hi DJC.
The number of people that don't use Stabil in their fuel is unbelievable.
The carbs need a proper clean. Please dont use that spray carb cleaner. That can do damage. That is meant for the outside of the carb. Need to get the carb cleaning kit by Gunk and follow the directions. The carbs will need to be disassembled to do the job.
Not a simple job and a manual would be of great help.

Vermont

Recruit

Hi just found this forum. Anyways i know nothing about outboards and figured i might give it a shot here. I purchased a boat with this motor on it. Motor ran fine when i purchased it (with ears on it). So the boat has been setting up for awhile 2-3 months ive been busy as busy gets with work. Today i goto the lake....and TROUBLE ...might be minor or major im not quite sure. Hopefully someone here can give me some insight. Anyways crank boat idle's fine at first then starts to bog down especially when you try to back up or throttle up to accelerate. So basically crank boat goto accelerate bogs down stalls out and dies. A few times it squeeked before it died out. Any insite on this would be greatly appreciated. THanks,Jerry

Jerry; Put water muffs on at home. Start your motor after appling water let the motor idle on start then check primer ball to make sure firm, check your filter on your outboard it should be full or see the gas circulating verify connections at fuel tank and motor.

RickMN

Recruit

Jerry; I have a 96 DT85 which has behaved the same way since it was new, especially when ambient temperatures are below 80 degrees. I believe the motor is just warm blooded and doesn't like being cold. Once started, I let the thing warm up for a few minutes at idle. Sometimes it will die and I'll have to restart it. Once warmed up, it runs fine all day. I put a new set of plugs in it at the beginning of each season. Also a little injector cleaner (1 to 2 oz) in my 18 gal fuel tank helps get things going in the spring after a long winter in storage. I tried Stabil once a couple of years ago, but had performance problems with the motor until I used up that gas and haven't used Stabil since in any of my power equipment. Funny thing is that I had never used Stabil in any stored gas (oil mixed or not) in the 50 or so years I've been around prior to that and have had not real problems. But then again I don't store the boat or other power equipment outside in the weather either. Generally, non-oxygenated (no alcohol) 91 plus octane works the best for me. Good Luck.

hookser1

Cadet

Jerry; when my fishin buddy bought his early 90's dt 85 a year ago the carbs needed cleaned, it would run rough and make that weird squeak and die. Fix those carbs and you should be good to go.

JDK426

Cadet

Hey Guys i just wanted to say thank you. Ive been busy on a shutdown job and havent had a chance to fish or mess with the boat or even check the forum for that matter :( But i really do appreciate the help you guys have offered. And i have one more question. I was told this is a 1995 DT85TC Suzuki outboard. But the owner;s manual tells me 1985 i am wondering if he made a mistake on telling me it was a 1995 lol. But i just added this site to my favorites. I am still new to the whole outboard world but ive spent 2 hours just reading stuff and forgot i had even posted on here til i ran across my post lol. And another thing. I called about the Carb Kits at a local outboard repair shop around me and they told me 72 bucks each (3 carbs) So if that sounds right could you please let me know. If not could someone give me a good reputable site to order from. Thanks once again guys Jerry

By the way the serial number is 8501 581108 if that helps

Thanks,Jerry

Last edited:

hookser1

Cadet

If you click on suzuki outboard parts at the top of this page you will find the carb kits you need for $19.79 each. I hope this helps.