What is the max run-out for 1999 Yamaha 200 HP???

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice
I developed a vibration in my outboard last week, very slight but noticeable. It looks like the prop is running out just a little. I pulled it off and checked the prop shaft at the spline total indicator movement was right at .006". Does anyone know what it should be? Also, one of the blades on the prop had a small dent in it. What is the redline of these outboards? around 5100 rpms seemed to be the max I could get out of it. Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What is the max run-out for 1999 Yamaha 200 HP???

I guess the next questions are if the runout is out of tolerance, how hard is it to change a prop shaft? Can I get the OEM parts in a kit online? What kind of cash is a mechanic going to charge? thanks guys

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

max runout is about .002".
however you really cant check it without pulling the propshaft and placing it in V blocks.
lucky for you that unit is fairly simple to get apart.
sounds like your familiar with machines cause you have a dial indicator.
only real special tool you will need is the puller set from BRP/OMC to remove the bearing carrier and a spanner wrench to tighten it on reassembly.
spanner wrench can be made.
I saw one in venezuela made from the front hub of a 4wd toyota :).

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

Rodbolt,
I understand what you are talking about I've been in the machine shop business for over 20 years, I was toolmaker for about 8 years......Sound like an old man huh? I started at a young age right out of high school.

Anyway,
you don't look at the shaft run-out at all when it is in the housing? Visually it looks like the prop is running out a little when you spin it with the engine in neutral. I ordered a service manual yesterday, but won't get it till next week. I have made a few spanner wrenches in my time. (no big deal there) What kind of puller? I assume I will need to drain the grease? Will I need to buy new seals just to check it? Do you know if there is a parts break down or instructions online anywhere? Thanks again for your time. Sorry for all the questions........I've looked at this board for a few years and like it. Just haven't participated until now.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you have run this thing in saltwater the spanner nut simply wont come out.
drill 3 1/4 holes in the nut. 2 very close together and the 3rd 180* from the first two and crack the nut out.
the puller tool from BRP/OMC works very well, better than the yamaha tool, to pull the carrier with a standard harmonic balancer puller.
measure the depth of the original seals so you can install the new seals to the proper depth.
but we need a model number and look at the aft end of the case just above the cavitation plate for a L stamp before I go further.

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

Rodbolt,
First, I couldn't find the number you were referring to. This is a bass boat and to my knowledge it has never seen salt water.

After reading several other posts about prop shaft-prop problems I took the boat out this weekend. But first I knocked the dent out of the prop. I didn't really notice much of a vibration, but now it looks like I have other problems. When I got the engine up to around 5k rpm I noticed it would lose power. If I was guessing I would say it is air/fuel related almost like it was starving for one or both. Sorry for my total ignorance but is there an air filter on these engines? Someone on another message board mentioned the fuel pump diaphrams? I am still waiting for a service manual and don't really know where to start. I know the prop is going to need re-worked and possibly the prop shaft. Now it looks like this fuel problem will keep me off the water. Thanks for any advice. ..Mike

yamaha.jpg

New2me

Seaman

Are you sure that its not the prop hub pressed in crooked. Or loose maybe.

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

Not too sure about anything on the prop. I plan to take to the prop shop this week. I hope to get a for sure answer about it from the experts. I do know that if hops around when you spin it, but I don't know how much is "normal"?
I haven't ever really paid attention to this before.

Mike

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what you have is an OX66 EFI bass boat 2.6L engine.
most likly causes of high speed power loss are VST filter clogging, weak lift pumps and or a dirty/defective O2 sensor.
all must be checked/corrected before a piston detonates.
the number is in your picture V is for Vmax(bass) 200 is the HP T is power trim,L is 20" shaft R is remote control and X is 1999 production model run.
if it said VX200 it would indicate its a 3.1L model.
would make a difference in parts and service manual ordering.
do some forum seraching on OX66 EFI and I have posted extensivly on testing, maint and service.
most all SX150,SX200 and most any other 2.6L OX66 service procedures will work with you V200.
no airfilter, if you need an air filter on your outboard carefully check your GPS and depth finder :).

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

Rodbolt, I doubt the cowling has been replaced because I purchased from the original owner and it states 3.1 litre.
I definetly don't want to melt down the piston. Where do I begin? I'm not even sure about the filter? Is that the one on the side that has a clear plastic cover? Get your drift about the air filter...I live in Oklahoma...dust can be killer here. Fyi, I just got my service manual in the mail..now...where to start diagnosing?
One more thing I forgot to mention, my engine has always smoked more than most outboards early in the morning and when I start it after fishing an area for a long period of time. Lately, it has been doing it almost non stop. I just replaced the plugs a few weeks ago thinking there was a fouling issue. Could this extra oil contribute to my loss of power? I apologize for giving info in pieces, I want to try to get one thing fixed before I move on to the next. thanks in advance, Mike

pic of engine:
stetbass.jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

definately a 3.1L vmax.
I just did a powerhead job on an o1 VX225/200 on our service managers Gambler.
took a 200 EFI merc off and replaced it with a VX225, what a ride.
the excessive smoke can be caused by quite a bit of different things.
post pics of the engine stbd and port sides with the hood off.
you will also need a few adapters, most can be made.
also post a pic of the rear of the engine with the plastic ECU cover removed.
got any buddy's in the auto industry that can assist with EFI diagnostic tools and knowledge?
not shade trees but actual trained techs?

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

Rodbolt,
I know it's recommended to warm the engine up for a few minutes,
but my boat is in my shop and I don't have a tank...broke my earmuffs.
anyway here is the cold compression check numbers:
Port Strbd
110 110
105 108
106 105

Yam-port.jpg

Yam-starboard.jpg

Yam-port1.jpg

Yam-front2.jpg

Yam-starboard03.jpg

Yam-starboard01.jpg

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

Rodbolt, Thanks so much with the tips. I took the boat out last night after cleaning the fuel pump filter. I am planning to change the fuel pumps too and I want to check the o2 sensor but I really don't have a clue where to start on this. I have read on here they are expensive and I don't want to screw it up. If you have recommendations about routine maintenence that needs to be done fire them my way. Thanks again,

Mike

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

call me again just not tonight :).
easy way to test the O2 sensor output is slip 2 unbent paper clips up the green connector wires from the sensor.
what your looking for at about 3000 RPM or so is the digital voltmeter is scaling rapidly between about .35 and .65V.
fix the red ring(water detect) in that engine filter too.
should be resting on the filter feet not the cup bottom.
get rid of the hose clamps on the rail feed and return and use the correct clips.
use a CV clamp installer to clamp them.

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

I will try to fix some the minor things you are talking about. As far as the o2 check I will give you a call....just let me know when its convienent.Thanks again,

Mike

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

Update:
I rebuilt the low pressure fuel pumps and cleaned the fuel pump filter again using some carb cleaner as well as compressed air this time. I still haven't checked the O2 sensor since my confidence level is pretty low with multimeter usage while the running the engine. In the manual I purchased (dissappointed about) is very basic and doesn't go into very great detail. But, it mentions a bench test using a torch to heat the sensor up and checking for an instantaneous voltage change.
The engine will only go to around 5100 max rpm. It still seems to have fuel issues. I can run all day around 4500 but when I punch it is seems to starve for gas still.

Also, I hear a ticking noise from the engine now. Actually, hoping it would just go away......I have noticed it for a while now but since I'm working the fuel issue it seems a little more noticable. It sounds almost like a rocker arm noise from a small block. I wonder if it's serious since I have ran it wide open several times and it hasn't come unglued. Is it common for these engines to have a tapping noise? Do I just need to shoot it and get another one? At one point I thought might be an exhaust leak? but, now I really don't know...I am really short on funds and can't really afford $85-100 hr. to diagnose the problems...... Things seem to have gone from bad to worse on this puppy.
thanks again for help

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

Rodbolt,
I need your advice on this one....If you have time to make a suggestion about the noise coming from the engine. I read all the posts I could find about tapping noises and this could get ugly...thanks,,,Mike

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

somewhere I have posted on the tapping noise.
most lily due to the O2 sensor draw tube.
if carbon clogs them they will slap back and forth and tap just like a wristpin.
get over your fear and use some jumper leads.
either purchase the test harness or use paper clips and black tape to hold them in place.
put the hood back on,
duct tape your meter to the deck, or use long jumper leads and go for a spin.
voltage should fluctuate rapidly between about .3V and .65V.
flame test is a teat on a boar hog.
the other 3 tech bullitens,avalible at any yamaha dealer, are pertanint.
NEVER submerge the O2 sensor deeper than the threads.
can be removed from the holder with a 22mm O2 sensor wrench, if you use most automotive style wrenchs you may have to grind some wall thickness off.
if the O2 sensor is defective/dirty and telling the ECU the engine is rich the ECU will lean out the fuel mix and can burn a piston above 4000 RPM.

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

Rodbolt,
You have convinced me...I will do the test. I will forget about the bench torch test. Now with that said, if the sensor is bad or clogged, what kind of voltage numbers should I expect? As far as cleaning the sensor/draw tube...you said to NEVER submerge the sensor past the the threads, what type of cleaner(s) should I use? Are there mandatory gaskets or parts that need to be changed if I take the o2 sensor off? Thanks again for all the help!
Mike