Guide for throttle linkage settings?

pmassey31545

Seaman
I have an '85 82hp Suzi and was wondering if there is a guide or specific way to set/adjust all the linkages-the carbs, timing retard(if that's what it's called), Those springy things that connect it all. Obviously I need some help. I plan to rebuild/clean carbs and fuel system, but need to get the linkage all set CORRECTLY when I put it back together. I had the carbs rebuilt about a year ago by the local guy and there was no difference after. It'll run OK on ears but in water it SUCKS. I'm sure it's a carb/fuel issue and they need to be cleaned anyway. Any help??

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
service manual for your motor will have the steps and specs.

Did you take it back to the guy if it did not help the motor running?

always check compression, spark, and timing to start out with,
If that is good then move on to fuel

pmassey31545

Seaman
Thanks for your reply.
He checked compression, spark, set the timing, new plugs.........all that jazz. It runs well around 2000 RPMs but will not idle. Anyway, I ran a bunch of cleaner through the entire fuel system and was getting ready to take it to the lake to try it out. Greasing all the steering and joints and such. Trimmed the motor up and it would not come down. Got so aggravated I went the next day and bought a new (to me) pontoon boat. Gonna post a what do y'all think thread in a few.