Suzuki DT65 dies on acceleration

ozzie101

Cadet
We took out our pontoon for the first time and have some issues. Motor starts right up and idles good. When you lift the idle bar, we get maximum rpms, but when you engage the prop and try to accelerate it dies.
When you do get it to run slow 3-4 mpg, the whole motor "clunks" forward every 30 seconds or so. Kind of a shift forward.
we never got up over 4 or 5 mph.
We had it serviced before we took it out, they changed the plugs and impeller and said it was running good.
Any advice would be great
thanks
Ozzie

will941s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki DT65 dies on acceleration

I had a problem with my 89' 150 that sounds alot like that problem. It would start and idle great but would not get above 2,100 rpm's and about 5 mph. Changed both fuel pumps and had the carbs rebuilt. Now it's like a brand new motor. The Yamaha tech also said there is a conditioner you can buy for your fuel to kill the Ethanol, and prolong the life of your fuel system. Hope this helps.

ozzie101

Cadet

thanks, will.

i'm going to go to the repair guy tomorrow, any other ideas out there?

ozzie

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Ozzie101, sounds like you're carbs are in need of a rebuild.

Jeff.

ozzie101

Cadet

well, it was the carbs, guy said it looked like sand in them.
thanks for the good advice

ozzie101

Cadet

Took the boat out and it ran real well for awhile, then at 3/4 throttle, it will bog down, like it is starved for fuel. after 5-10 seconds it picks up speed again. what should we look at now? fuel filter? fuel lines?

borneborne

Recruit

Hi, I have had similar probs Y-115, -96, 2-stroke:

1. Starts flawlessly, sometimes even without startgas lever up and no choke !!
2. Then starts to "sputter" after a while but then I can get it stable by raising the lever, but then of course the gear shift gets locked !!
3. Now if I push throttle forward it tends to die off. If I go back to neutral fast, it will retake the steam and rev up. Now the strange thing is I can sometimes put in the backward gear and run !!!

This mostly happen when the engine is warm.

So some ideas: Could it be that the carb rebuild wasn't well done ??
The other is of course the fuel pump. I don't know if a flaw there can be temperature sensitive?

The other thing I have noticed is that the idle lever seems to coordinate ignition timing in another way that the throttle lever do. There also seems to be different ignition timing when reversing vs. forwarding the gear.

You might check the calibration of these things and do it from start by position the magnetos (should be some 25 degrees depending of motor type) with a dial gauge to the sparkplug opening, meassuring pistonposition and then work backwards all the way to the magneto/throttle lever. (you need a manual with correct readings and some tools)

It could be that the high-speed jets weren't suffciently cleaned out and thus when you want more power, it starves.

Concerning my motor, I wonder if there is gum in the high speed jets or else and if it is possible to open them without detaching the carb and just spray CRC carb cleaner into every jet and pilot screw you can reach ???

:confused:
We took out our pontoon for the first time and have some issues. Motor starts right up and idles good. When you lift the idle bar, we get maximum rpms, but when you engage the prop and try to accelerate it dies.
When you do get it to run slow 3-4 mpg, the whole motor "clunks" forward every 30 seconds or so. Kind of a shift forward.
we never got up over 4 or 5 mph.
We had it serviced before we took it out, they changed the plugs and impeller and said it was running good.
Any advice would be great
thanks
Ozzie

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem as Ozzie101 with my Suzuki DT 65 hp. 1995 mod.
But, I have cleaned and adjusted the carbs, instaled new fuel pump (and new fuel hoses) and also replaiced al oil seals on the crankshaft (which I was told could cause problems).
NOTHING helps, still the same problem !!! Can the throttle valve sensor cause the problem ?

Best regards and thanks for al help
Fredrik (in Norway)

h2omech

Recruit

This may or may not help, ethanol breaks down the plastic in boat fuel tanks. Even if you clean and rebuild your carbs the "sand" or plastic particles can be in your system. I have found I had to go back to my filters more than once to really get rid of the issue.