1996 Suzuki DT85 high idle

swilly

Recruit
My motor starts great but idles at 1100 to 1200 and wont drop down to the 900 range, When I choke it will drop and sometimes stay at 900 on ears. In the water it boggs out of the hole but then will catch and run fine, back to idle and sometimes will curp and surge. I have new plugs to put in and have already chaned the primer bulb,water fuel seperator and all the inlinefuel filters look clean.Any Help

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1996 Suzuki DT85 high idle

what has the maint history been otherwise?

high idle can be related to faulty thermostats. the motor may still think its cold and will not cycle down to normal operating temps.
tstats should be changed out every few seasons as a maint item.

your tstats may solve your bogging down issue as well otherwise, it could be related to low pressure fuel pump and/or some other fuel restriction issue. the motor could be starved for fuel under an WOT out of the hole condition.

provide any more details.

swilly

Recruit

Thanks for the help I changed tstats 2007 I use this boat all year long and do regular maintanance. It was running fine up until last week I did get some gas from mom and pop station think this has any thing to do with it. Blowing a Gain here today!!!!

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are you sure they are still good and not stuck open.

swilly

Recruit

No I'm not sure there still good how is the best way to check and if there stuck open or bad Thanks for the imput.