65hp suzuki outboard wont pump water???

hello my 65hp suzuki outboard wont pump any water from the lower unit to cool the motor. I just replaced the impeller and also checked if anything was clogging it. i found no clogs so i check the stat and it didnt seem like it was sticking. I have no clue what the prob is. Please help. thanks
Joe

James R

Commander
Re: 65hp suzuki outboard wont pump water???

If the pump housing or plate is scored then the pump will not pump. When you replaced the impeller did you follow the correct procedure by rotating the drive shaft clockwise as you pressed the housing down over the impeller. If not then one or more of the blades are in the wrong direction and it will not pump.
Also make sure the telltale hole is clear because if it is blocked then it will fool you into thinking there is no water flow.
Engine temperature will tell you.
The Suzuki motors don't like muffs. A tub or a pond is really the only way to check water flow.

what do you mean by scored??? is the telltale hole right on top right. It has like a rubber outer right right??? there is exaust coming out of it but no water. and the motor is deff getting hot. I am running it in a tub with water covering the the slots on the lower end. I will pull the lower end off again to take a look to see if its scored. and go clockwise with the rubber impellers. thanks i will let you know

its deff not pumping water into the motor cause i took the stat out and there was no water at all in the cylinder head it was bone dry.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you replace the grommet on the top of the water pump housing that the pickup tube goes into?? When you put it back together, did you make sure that the tube that fits into this grommet was actually attached to the upper tube, the part that goes to the motor ??

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jumpin Joe... Are you sure you got the woodruff key for the impeller in there right? If so, you've missed the water tube when reassembling. If the impeller was turning when you pushed the the pump housing down (turning the drive shaft clockwise) you will be pumping water. Where to is the next question.

yeah i got the key in right but when i ressembled i dont think i tured it counterclockwise. I have the lower end out as we speak so im going to try all the things you guys told me and see where that goes. Thanks for all your advise i hope i get it fixed i the strippers are hitting awsome right now on the river. i will write you back with the outcome

yeah i put it all back toghter and no luck. I back flushed everything but no luck i took out the stat ran water down through there and it came out the tube,

i pulled the lower enf off again and no luck. I put a 15mm 12 point socket on the drive shaft and put the luvers underwater and spun it and no water came out of the pump hole. Is that a good way to check it??? whats the best wat to check it. Thanks for any info you guys can give me im trying everything. Thanks

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jumping Joe-
You can't spin the drive shaft fast enough to pump water by hand. If you can figure a way to put a 1/2" drill motor on that socket/extention or drive shaft you should get something. Another solution; Look on the side of the lower unit (around the area where the water pump housing is) for a large screw that says "flush" under it. Attach a hose to the flush attachment that screws into that hole. They make a hose attachment for that but if you have trouble finding one "jerry" rig one. I've taken a 3/8ths bolt, drilled a hole all the way through it, center cut off the head of the bold and hose clamped a 1/2" water hose to that. You should get enough water through that without turning the pump very fast. Good luck!

B16SNE

Recruit

Hi, sorry to hijack your thread but I thought Id let you know i'm having the exact problem with my DT65! Mine is a 1985, not sure what age yours is. I've not yet changed the impeller because I'm not sure on how to disconnect the shift linkage (cant find a manual for love nor money on this motor, in the UK). But i suspect even when I change the impeller I might have the same issues as the impeller was only changed 6 months ago.

Steve

James R

Commander

With the lower off remove the thermostat and cover. Take a water hose with a gun on it and try pumping water up the water tube. It should come out of the thermostat cavity real good. If it does not then you have a blockage. If it does, just to be sure, shoot water into the cavity and it should run freely out of the water tube. If there is any debris, perhaps from a failed impeller, then it should flush out.
As for the scoring of the pump body or plate. If the items are not smooth then they are scored and must be replaced. Not kidding you here.

James R

Commander

B16SNE. Not good to hijack but you will probably find a SELOC or CLYMER manual on Ebay. Factory manuals are sometimes hard to find.
I use Seloc and Clymer. They are perhaps not the best but they suffice.
Ex Limey.

thanks James i will try that. When i took the old impeller off there were chunks of rubber missing off of the impeller maybe chunks of them got up into the cavity of the tubes and plugged something up. I will do that and try. Actually i reversed the way you were telling me and pulled the stat out and put water down that way and it cam out the tube. Thanks james for your help and everyone else.

hey james R i found a small score on the metal plate directly below the impeller a small score im going to replace the metal plate and the felt gasket and see what happens i flushed the motor and nothing was clogged. I did like you said and ran the hose down through the stat hole and water came gushing out the tube so nothing blocking it there. I boiled the stat and that works fine. Thats the only possible thing left is replacing that plate. you think it will pump water after replacing thats plate??? thanks guys for all your help.