1980 suzuki 65hp lower unit shifting rod wont go back in please help!!

hello i have a 1980 suzuki 65hp outboard and in the lower end the shifting rod came out causew i have to do the impeller in it. I ordered the parts and the shifting rod wont go back in the bottom end. down by the prop. Please help i get the impeller in tommorow and wanted to go fishing this weekend. But i need the shifting rod back in the lower end. Just curious what i can do to put that back in. Thanks

James R

Commander
Re: 1980 suzuki 65hp lower unit shifting rod wont go back in please help!!

Sorry to have to tell you but the complete gear and prop shaft assembly has to be removed to re engage the push cam on the end of the shift rod. The gear and prop shaft assembly then has to be refitted into the casing.
The drawings for your model are not complete on brownspoint.com but if you look at the 1988 model you will get the idea. You are not the first to come across this issue.

thanks james i fixed it. It was a pretty easy fix once i got the casing out of the lower end prob took me 1/2 hour

efan38

Cadet

hey buddy i did the same thing with my 86 DT65 only problem is i'm not sure how gear case comes apart. do i have to remove the shift rod completely then remove prop shaft ?