1989 40HP Yamaha Carb issue "fuel leak"

rhorst2000

Cadet
I have a 1989 40hp 2 stroke Yamaha model# 40ETLF - When I went to start it I noticed a fuel leak - it is leaking/running out of the top left port on the middle of three carbs.

I took the carbs off - cleaned it and didn't see anything really wrong with it. Reassembled and it still leaks.

What can cause this? Stuck jet? Fuel Pump? Bad float?

Please help!!!

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 40HP Yamaha Carb issue "fuel leak"

Sounds like a stuck float or leaking needle valve in the carb bowls. They can get gummed up pretty easily with todays E10 fuels.
The float is what limits the amount of fuel getting to the carb. Your float is probably stuck open and won't shut off when the bowl is full.

rhorst2000

Cadet

Sounds like a stuck float or leaking needle valve in the carb bowls. They can get gummed up pretty easily with todays E10 fuels.
The float is what limits the amount of fuel getting to the carb. Your float is probably stuck open and won't shut off when the bowl is full.

Thanks, Cousinabe I'll take them apart and clean them again. That should do it - right?

Navy or Coast Guard?

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Neither. BA in Computer Science.
Love troubleshooting and have learned a lot of knowledge on here especially from Rodbolt's posts.

You need to find and remove the cause of the sticking float or leaking needle valve. Make sure the needle tip is good.