Suzuki 115 2 stroke oil injected 1996 rev limiter problem

Submoa

Recruit
I'm not sure if I have a rev limiter problem or if I don't. I have a problem that is for sure. If I run full throddle for a while the motor bogs down like the rev limiter has engaged. I don't have to reset anything so don't know if it's that or another problem. I bought the boat used and took it out for a ride with my mechanic, it did the same thing. My mechanic was sure it was the rev limiter as he's been the mechanic on this boat since it was new and it's not had any problems he was certain it was the impellar needing to be replaced as it wasn't spitting as much water as he felt it should. I replaced that last year. Honestly I never ran the boat wide open for any amount of time after that, I'm a fisherman, I run to where I fish then fire up the kicker motor. The motor litterally looks brand new inside the cover and out. I've got to take it back to the mechanic, I don't know if he's going to know what the problem is. I'm hoping someone here may know what the answer is. There is a tattle tale light that comes on very briefly then goes off, it's not the temp light, it's like a circle with a square top on the circle (if that makes sense?). Any insight would be appreciated. Great boat, motor looks like new, really don't want to keep dumping money into it like I have since I bought it.

yoyo133

Cadet
Re: Suzuki 115 2 stroke oil injected 1996 rev limiter problem

Could very well be the oil filter (white square between oil tank and pump) is starting to get gummed up. If it only happens at WOT and not at say..4500rpm.. then that is the most likely culprit. They are cheap..just replace it but remember to bleed the air out of the new one when you do..

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 96 115 had a wad of oil gunk in the bottom of the oil tank. It clogged the filter/oil sensor and eventually caused the #2 cylinder to score trashing the engine. I had similar symptoms. The replacement part is around $15. Dump the oil tank and make sure everything is flowing but the oil pump must be bled after you do that. There is a procedure for that. If not done correctly the engine can blow.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

yep, could be a slow oil transfer happening due to a clogged filter.

Submoa

Recruit

Thanks for all the advice! I have been out of town for 3 weeks and havent had a chance to do anything yet but will try and get it fixed now.

Thanks again

Submoa

Recruit

Thanks for the advice. My mechanic looked at the oil filter and said it looked like it had some gunk in it. He ordered another one which will take about a week to get in. I have a walleye tourney this weekend so he's putting it back together without the filter after he cleaned everything out and will bleed the line and test run it tomorrow with a fake a lake. I'm hoping this will be the problem and I can run it for this tourney. Thank you guys for your help it's very much appreciated. I'll post again and let you know if this truly is the fix or not.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

NO NO NO
DO NOT reassemble it witout the filter.
however the filter assy can be dissasembled, the filter cleaned and the filter/flow sensor assy reassembled.
for gods sake man ya trying to pop a motor ?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

an addendum
if the mokanik actually does this for you and you blow a powerhead then any civil court judge will give you a judgement on replacing the powerhead.
trust me, I testify occasionally in cases like this.
gonna read along these lines.
judge will ask me, on inspection was the oil filter in place.
my relpy, nope.
judge will ask the mokanik, did you remove the filter?
yep.
I will the show the judge the correct filter/flow sensor cleaning procedure from my suziki factory service manual .
the judge will then grant your damages.
good luck actually collecting unless the marina/mokanik is actually insured.
my general liability policy costs almost 4000 dollars a year.
is your mokanik actually insured ?