1994 115 Yamaha Outboard won't start, but..

hokeez1

Recruit
eventually starts after several hours of trying. It will turn over, but it is not getting any fire on any of the cylinders. I have been told by mechanics that it could be the power pack, pulser coil, or static assembly, but no one seems to really know the answer. This issue seems to be temp. related. Once the motor starts, it starts with no problems for the entire day after it does eventually start.
I did disconnect the kill switch to make sure that wasn't the problem, but it still didn't start the next morning. The actually motor number is C115TLRS. I just don't want to buy a power pack and this not be the problem. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that's every had this problem. Any help will be appreciated!

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1994 115 Yamaha Outboard won't start, but..

Are the choke plates closing completely?
Is the battery fully charged?
Fresh fuel/oil mix from a test tank?

hokeez1

Recruit

The choke plates are closing, the gas has been checked, and the batteries are fully charged. The batteries are good because it takes many, many tries until the motor starts. :confused:

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These motors almost always have problems on the fuel side not the electrical side.
Carbs been off for cleaning?
Kill switch in place?
Sorry, but after the basics unless you have a manual and a tester its a crapshoot.

hokeez1

Recruit

I have heard that they have fuel problems too, but this motor doesn't have any spark at all when the problem occurs. The carbs have been checked and looked great, and I disconnected the kill switch just to make sure and it still had the same problem the next day. I may go ahead and order the power pack and take a chance. I appreciate it.

syclone01

Recruit

take off your airbox, hold your hand over the bottom carb completely. see it it starts then...I'm dealing with the same problem on a 94 130, same engine basically as your 115. Mine wouldn't start, even hit at all till i did that. Once i got it started it would still run for a bit, but rough idle. Found out my cyl 1and3 arent' firing...I did the ohm test on the coils, stator, pulser/trigger. I think my trigger/pulser is bad, will check with a dva meter to be sure. My choke plates were closing all the way, but the carbs were dry in the throttle bores, till i put my hand over the bottom carb, it started right up. Try to look at your reeds as well. make sure the diaphram is still good in the fuel pump. Have you tried squeezing the bulb when it starts loosing power? i've seen a lot of problems with air in the fuel lines.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

splattergun trouble shooting ALWAYS leads to a lot of expense.
simply test spark and compression.
if both are good fix the fuel system.
if compression fails fix the mechanical issue and what caused it.
if spark fails then use a DVA meter or a DVM with a DVA adapter and the tune up spec guide to test the inputs and outputs of the CDI.
its a very simple altenator driven ign system.
if your alarm horn actually works and you attempt to crank it with the stop lanyard removed you should have gotten an alarm.

prentice3780

Cadet

Did you fix or find your problem, I have a c-115 also and have same
problem, put in lake wont fire wait for several hours and fires up runs
perfect all day long bump key no choke starts upinstanly it has always started at home with the muffs.

Please reply if you found or fixed your problem

Thanks

robert graham

Admiral

spray/squirt some starting fluid or fuel directly into the mouth of each carb and crank it over. if it starts then you'll know it's a fuel delivery issue. if it doesn't even try to fire up, then probably an electrical problem. Good Luck!

kix766j

Cadet

if after you squirt some fuel into the carbs (or use starter spray) and it doesnt start up, i would suggest checking electrical.

Double check your CDI unit by disconnecting the overlimiter connection and knocking on the unit slowly, but firmly. then try starting up but make sure all sparkplugs are firing at least a little bit.

if it cranks up after knocking on the unit then i would suggest getting that checked. it could also startup and work for a full day after this and if you leave it for another couple of days still it might not start up again.

my 140HP Yamaha 1994 had this problem. i used to knock on the CDI unit and it starts up and goes off again, then when i try to start it up again it just keeps turning. then i knock on the CDI again.. it starts up and goes off again... BE VERY CAREFUL of the ignition starter if using it for more than 10minutes straight... it overheats immensly and if you keep trying to start it you may well double up your expenses if you ruin this..

rgh3803

Recruit

i have had the same problem with my yamaha c115tlrs it is a 1994 model and started taping on the rectifier with a butt end of a screw driver and i would crank now it has gotten to the point where we are tapping on the bottom of the cdi unit and it would crank and july 4th weekend it run one day beautifully and the next it didnt mater what we hit it wouldnt start. so we run a jumper wire from the hot lead on the rectifier to the cdi box there is a red wir ithink it is the fourth from the top on the right side of the box and it fired up every time everyone i talked to wants me to put a new rectifier regulator stator pulser and cdi on it but damn thats almost 2,000.00 worht of stuff any suggestions.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I suggest correctly trouble shooting voltage inputs and outputs.
the rectifier has NOTHING to do with ign system.
all it does is convert lighting coil a/c voltage to DC voltage to charge the battery.
only thing the ign needs the battery for is turning the flywheel.