1987 Monitor Guage on 1982 Suzuki DT115

442 Mike

Recruit
I spent the day going cleaning old wires out of a boat I bought last year. The previous owner had a blown 1987 DT140 replaced with a 1982 DT115. In the console is a Monitor Guage that is supposed to monitor oil level water flow and over rev. I found that the motor end of the cable for this Monitor Guage was not connected to anything. After some research I found that this monitor guage was first used in 1987, so I may not be able to use it with my motor.

Here's my question, is there some way I can use this with my motor, or does it lack the required senders? How can I test the warning senders that I have to verify that they work? Oil level, over temp, are there any more? I have ordered a service manual, but it won't be here for a couple of weeks.

If it turns out I can't use this, I will have a guage and 21 ft cable in good shape if anyone needes it.

Thanks in advance
mike

special_kaye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 Monitor Guage on 1982 Suzuki DT115

Don't know if it'll do any good but you might try picking up a FACTORY manual for your engine. I've got a DT200 and a DT150SS. The manual I have covers both engines and also has a wiring schematic showing how all the gauges hook up and where they hook up in relation to the wiring harness, etc. I believe that both sizes of engine you talk about are covered in one book also.

Just an OBTW, the duel temp monitor gauge, from about '87 or after, was hooked to an 86 DT200 when I got the boat. Now, I'm taking that same gauge and using it on the 88 DT150SS I have. No, I haven't smoked checked it yet, I don't have the engine on the boat just yet but all the hookups are there, all the connections are there, I don't see why it won't work.

If you take the engine cowl off, on the starboard side, there should be a large round plug, that'll be the engine control plug. Usually, underneath that, you'll find a smaller rounded square plug with four wires plus two off to the side but in the same cable, that's the trim connection. Then, if you dig around some more, you'll find another 6 pin rounded square connector that is the engine monitor connector. It'll also have a few wires in the same bundle but off to the side. Can't remember all the details but here's an OLD picture off the OLDER motor for you with some labels so you can see what I'm talking about. Your mileage may vary. Use caution, common sense and go ahead and disconnect the battery when making connections. Nope, don't know if you need to but at $200 a pop for that gauge, do you want to risk it or take a few seconds to disconnect the battery?

Cable%20plugs.jpg

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 Monitor Guage on 1982 Suzuki DT115

Hey mike, I was reading your post about a suzuki monitor guage... I am in need of the harness if you still have it.. I could pay you through paypal if you still have it... let me know... mattyrich8@hotmail.com