87 Suzuki DT65 idles but will not throttle up.

pike1bend

Recruit
I have a DT65 that will start good, idle fine but when you put it in gear and start to throttle up it bogs and dies. Oil reset and level ok. Prop turns freely, not wound with fish line. Lower unit is ok, no binding. Rebuilt the fuel pump and it is ok. The motor has set for more than a year with out running. I have run Sea Foam in the fresh gas while idling,but no improvement. Any suggestions.

Southern Gent

Recruit
Re: 87 Suzuki DT65 idles but will not throttle up.

Pike1 I run a Suzuki DT040 1996 model.
I had the same thing happen a couple years back.
I had to have my Carburetor reworked. The High Speed jets are stopped up from old fuel evaporation. Now I Fish more and always disconnect the fuel line and run the engine dry. No problem in two winters.

pike1bend

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. I was kinda headed in that direction but wanted to see if there was anything I may have been over looking.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I have a '85 DT40 which does that now and then. It's the choke sticking on mine. IF you can start it you throttle up and it floods out. I'd look at that too.

James R

Commander

If the carbs have not been cleaned in recent times, say a year or more, then attend to that. Could be the fuel pump not performing, or the fuel feed is leaking air preventing the pump from supplying the necessary fuel.
Always use Stabil in your fuel and fit a water trap filter. The fuel we are getting is crap.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Clean those carbs and change fuel pump diaphragm ......

shemp308

Recruit

I think i have something that should be addressed here! I have done a lot of reading all winter and as a old auto mechanic i have some experience with engines but as we all know outboard are a breed of there own! My problem all started out last summer with 87 dt65 that would idle fine but when you put it in gear and start to throttle up it bog and die sometimes after i had the Carburetors cleaned it was i would say not as good as it was before! After getting to the point that if i took it out again and it ran the same the engine was going for the deep six! Now i should tell all of you that i had it into a expert for the work to save myself the work and the @#$%%$^% that is part of working on outboards! After a bit of money and a few trips to the lake i wish i had gone over the engine myself again! Here is what i found! it would seem that the guy i had bought the boat from had a problem with it and changed the spark plugs and did not gap them and the gap was what the plugs are out of the box 24 thousands and the Carburetor cleaning added to the problem as it was getting more fuel! After new plugs and the right gap 40 thousands and setting the Carburetors the engine runs and idles great! The point to all of this is that i am a mechanic and i had it in to a marina to another mechanic and the two of us both missed a simple little thing that we should have found! And i was ready to put it at the bottom of the lake! all over a small thing like a 5 minute repair! Not to go into the hundreds that i spent on new fuel line and all the other things that could have caused the problem! Now i know that all of the you don't have a simple thing that can be fixed in a few minutes but it may be worth the time to just sit back and go over what you and any one that has worked on the engine and make sure it was done right! You may find that you missed (like i did) a small thing that you would not think could cause such BIG HEADACHES
I would also like to say to all of you thank you for all the great input to try and help all of us that enjoy a nice day out on the water!
Michael

shemp308

Recruit

just a after thaught on this engine can any one here tell me just how smooth this engine should idle i have it ok but i was told that as it is a 3 cyl it will have a little shake at idle better if any one has a video of one running at idle that would be great?
thanks again
Michael

shemp308

Recruit

ok had the boat on the water and it ran like it never did! it did die 3 times but only on a quick drop to idle! can any one tell me if the throttle position sensor has any adjustment and what would it do if it is not adjusted correctly! The engine did idle good and if it runs the rest of this year like it did! i can live with it! But i still think it could run a bit smoother at idle! i have had this problem with cars! If you don't set the tps!
Again thank all of you for all the good help
Michael