'97 Suzuki DT140 EFI Water Pressure Valve

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Doing some maintenance on my 140 and have removed the power head. I thought it would be a good idea to change the water pressure valve while I had it off because pulling the power head isn't something you want to do very often. When I tipped the head over to scrape the gasket surface and replace the valve it looks like the valve is in backwards? There is no mention of this valve in the shop manual in this location because I guess it was a change. The parts breakdown picture shows it inserted with the spring on the bottom which would never let it work, basically it would be a plug. Is this right or should the spring face up/in so an over-pressure can activate the valve? What ever I do I don't want to cause problems in the future so I won't have to pull the head again. Worst case I will install the new one with the spring out like I found the old one. It was working so I guess it is ok. I've read some of you have worked on this before.

Here is a picture of the bottom of the power head. http://elmer2.sccoast.net/memberser...c2f8073ed-394DB52E-EE10-4888-5B40332422682535

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '97 Suzuki DT140 EFI Water Pressure Valve

I think I figured this out myself. I belive the valve was installed correctly. I was confused with the water flow direction. Similar to the way the valve works in the DT115 model, it lets water bypass the thermostat until the thermostat opens. I didn't realize the water was coming up from the bottom passages.