Yamaha 3HP won't Rev under load

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRogers36

Recruit
I have a 1993 Yamaha 3HP (3MSHR) that starts fine, idles fine, revs up just fine in neutral, but will not rev up when in gear and in the water. I suspected the carb and took it off, found the needle valve had broken off in the orifice. Purchased the carb kit, had a machine shop remove the broken tip from the orifice, installed the new needle valve. Engine ran fine the first time out. Just like new. Next time out, same thing...will not rev in gear in the water. Any ideas?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yamaha 3HP won't Rev under load

This needs to be in the Yamaha Forum, TR. I will move it.

New2me

Seaman

I would say that you have a carb issue agian,It will probley need to be taken off and cleaned.How long does it sit up between running,Are you putting in fresh fuel?I would also check tank,filter and fuel lines running to carbs for trash.

EAVES

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Probally another Ethenol problem!!!!! Clean carb

TRogers36

Recruit

Carb was first suspect. I have taken it off, stripped it down, boiled it out, replaced everything I can replace, no effect. Fresh fuel doesn't have any effect. Filters are new & clean. Good flow to the carb. I'm not a small engine mechanic so I may totally miss the obvious, but does this engine have "reeds" between the carb and the combustion chamber? Could that be a suspect?

Thanks for your time and expertise!

New2me

Seaman

Yes it does have reeds the reeds are located behind the plate that the carb bolts to its the two bolts that are off set behind the carbs,I dont think its that how was the fuel pump diaphram,it maybe electrical

TRogers36

Recruit

Thanks for the advice. I just came in from bench running the Yamaha. Running it in neutral (of course) it seems to me that it gets real lean as it revs up. After idling back down, it runs smooth for about a minute, then "loads up" and is hard to get to rev again without using the choke for just a second. Once the RPM pick back up, it runs good again.

I agree that something in the fuel path must be the culprit, but what? Its such a sweet little motor, it would be a shame not to get it running normally again. Thanks for all your good advice! It's helpful.

New2me

Seaman

When you are tearing into the carbs and reassembleing are you using the same parts or did you pick up a carb kit,It could be leaking gaskets or Impropperly set metering screws.You need to be careful running if you suspect its running lean as you could fry a piston very easly.there could still be trash in the high speed circut in the carbs.Maybe Rodbolt will chim,He is the man with most the answers.

rkersh409

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 1995 175hp that would only take off if you primed it after it was warmed up. Would idle all day long. Took it to a dealer and they told me that it wasn't advancing the timing on take off. Don't know if the Yamaha is the same but just an idea.

EAVES

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How long did this engine sit after the 1st initial run????????

TRogers36

Recruit

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I think I have narrowed it down to either a leaky gasket at the fuel pump or a faulty fuel pump. Here's how I arrived at this premise;

When I start the engine, I am using the choke. The suction of the intake is helping to pull fuel through the carb. Once the engine starts, I push the choke in and the engine is able to idle. As I increase throttle, the engine starves for fuel and dies. I have found that I can manipulate the choke and gain throttle. I believe the application of the choke is "sucking" fuel through the fuel pump and supplying the fuel for combustion using the suction of the intake.

What I plan to do: Take the carb off one more time, get a kit to replace whatever diaphram is in the fuel pump and every gasket in the whole assembly. Replace the needle valves (again) and re-assemble. Then at least I will have eliminated several suspects.

New2me

Seaman

Post back if thats what helps.That way it may help others.

Craspo

Recruit

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I think I have narrowed it down to either a leaky gasket at the fuel pump or a faulty fuel pump. Here's how I arrived at this premise;

When I start the engine, I am using the choke. The suction of the intake is helping to pull fuel through the carb. Once the engine starts, I push the choke in and the engine is able to idle. As I increase throttle, the engine starves for fuel and dies. I have found that I can manipulate the choke and gain throttle. I believe the application of the choke is "sucking" fuel through the fuel pump and supplying the fuel for combustion using the suction of the intake.

What I plan to do: Take the carb off one more time, get a kit to replace whatever diaphram is in the fuel pump and every gasket in the whole assembly. Replace the needle valves (again) and re-assemble. Then at least I will have eliminated several suspects.
Hi! I am having the same issue. Were you able to figure it out or fix it? Thanks for your time!

Craspo

Recruit

How long did this engine sit after the 1st initial run????????
Hello. I am having the same issue as the OP. Could you explain to me why this would affect the revving? Thanks for your time!

MODERATOR EDIT: Please review the forum rule about posting to old threads and feel free to start your own thread on the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.