90 hp Yamaha alarm wire color?

surfbass

Cadet
I have a 1999 90hp Yamaha that I am installing on a 1996 Kenner. The alarm is in the controll box on the boat and has two wires coming from it. What color are the wires comming from the yamaha harness that should be connected to the alarm. Also what is the procedure for testing to make sure that I get it right. Thanks in advance for your help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 hp Yamaha alarm wire color?

on that motor the buzzer wire is pink and part of the 10 pin main harness. if you have the 703 side mount box
to test simply turn the key on, at the temp switch on the head dissconect the pink wire and short the engine side to ground and the buzzer should sound.

surfbass

Cadet

Thanks Rodbolt. I do have a pink wire that is not connected yet but it is from a smaller plug with six wires. The controll box is a center of the console mounted OMC model instead of a side mount. Do you know what other color goes to the second wire coming from the alarm. There is a dark blue color wire coming from the same plug as the pink wire. Could that be it or does it go somewhere else? I hope the question makes sense. Thanks for your patience.

surfbass

Cadet

Also what color would the wires be that connect to the tachometer. The guages on this boat were connected to an old Evinrude so none of the plugs match. It has been an interesting experiment for this novice. Thanks for your help.

EAVES

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The Tach lead on the yamaha is Grey or green. I think its grey . and the alarm wire is the pink one.

The oil level sender sound the alarm as well and its blue. (2 cycle)
and the Temp. sensor is a pink wire and there is also a pink wire on the trim sender as well Hope this helps i could be wrong on this but i see too many boats in aweeks time and its sad b/c i should know this b/c i am Yamaha Certified LOL thanks JE

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

EAVES
you just flunked outboard systems and electrical systems.
take the next course and try again :).
on yamaha wiring dark green is tach send,pink is alarm send in the 10 pin harness gray is overheat visual,black is ground yellow is key on 12v+ red is constant fused 12V supply, brown is start and white is engine kill.
lt blue is trim up and lt green is trim down and dark blue is choke and may not be used on all applications even though its in the harness.
on the trim meter orange if using a 3 wire sender is a 5V reference,pink is trim pick off voltage and black is ground.
2 wire trim only uses pink and black although the orange is still in the trim hrness.
green on the trim/oil harness is oil level ok send or green lamp, green/red is oil alarm visual for low engine tank level.
remember with one exception all yamaha functions are done by completeing the ground path, the exception being yellow lamp for tank level low on certain engines.
yellow lamp is a function of a ground loss on the green wire to the oil level guage.
surfbass.
if your trying to use the OMC harness,controls and wiring quit while your ahaed and go consult the proper rigging guide and buy the correct parts.
your 90 requires a 10 pin main harness and if oil injected will require the trim/oil harness for oil and overheat visual indicates and trim indicate.
some of the smaller yamahas without trim can use the 7 pin harness and a few of the harness's with 6 pins did not have a key on 12V yellow wire in the harness and cannot be used with anything that is electric start.
so what you need is the correctly set 704 box,the trim/oil harness a 10 pin main harness and a keyswitch panal with alarm,emergency stop ,1992 and up 90 motors use primestart so a keyswitch without choke will work, if you get one with choke it will still work just the dark blue wire wont do anything.
if you try to franken rig this thing the results will leave a bad taste in your mouth at a minimum.

surfbass

Cadet

Thanks guys. The engine is installed and running great. I am not going to worry about the guages (there is only the tach and speedo) in order to keep the "franken rigging" (good one Rodbolt) to a minimum. This not an oil injected model so no oil level alarm.
I may have missed something in the answers---The alarm in the controll box has two wires comming out of it. I connect the pink wire from the harness to one of the wires from the alarm. Do I run a ground wire to the other wire comming from the alarm or is there another color for that one? Hope this makes sense.