Yamaha 200 Engine Exhaust Manifold

Schick

Recruit
My overheat light and warning siren came on while fishing at Lake Fork this week. They only came on at idle speeds and would stop as soon as we sped up. I took it to a local shop who installed a new water pump, but that did not solve the problem. I took it to my local authorized Yamaha dealer back home and he found that my exhaust manifold apparently burned up, which as I understand it is causing gases to build up within the engine and may cause additional damage. The technician had never seen this before. This looks to be an expensive repair. Has anyone experienced this? It is the 200 hp VMAX 3.1 2 cycle 2004 engine. I assume I have no choice, but replace the exhaust manifold, but the customer relations guy at Yamaha made it sound like it was not absolutely necessary to replace it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 200 Engine Exhaust Manifold

I really need your model number as the did not make a US marked V200, they did make a VX 200 3.1L OX66 EFI and a VZ200that was based on the 2.6L design.
however your problem descrption indicates a failed/stuck pressure control valve. clean the pocket and replace the grommet and reassemble.
your technician description says, I would want a part number.
the desighn of both vmax engines dont use exhaust manifolds on the powerhead, the manifold is under the powerhead adapter plate and requires complete midsection dissasembly to access or inspect.
even with the manifold missing it wont affect cooling much, its mostly a tuner pipe and water does not flow through it anyway, discharge water from the pressure valve and t-stats flow around it on the way out the exhaust but I really really would like to see this burned up part.

Schick

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 200 Engine Exhaust Manifold

Mine is the VX 200 3.1 L 66 model that you cited.

Thanks for your response.

Steve