6HP Yamaha, Battery Charging

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,

My dad just bought a 2008 6HP Yamaha 2 stroke for his canoe. http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=2719&section=td&group=O#contentTop

He wants to be able to hook the motor up to his accessory battery to charge it while he is trolling around. The motor has a max 6 amp alternator output so he knows it won't charge it that well when trolling.

Since the motor is a manual start it has a plug coming out of the front of the motor that looks like the end of an extension cord.

Is there a device that can be purchased or made that would plug into this plug and be able to be hooked up to a battery to provide a small charge?

He is also worried about the possibility of the battery overcharging if he just hooks the battery directly to the motor.

Any advice that I could pass along to him would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6HP Yamaha, Battery Charging

Check with Yamaha to get the correct plug and cord.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 6HP Yamaha, Battery Charging

What accessories is he running?

If it is just a fishfinder or GPS or both, a decent battery should be able to power those for much longer than he would want to stay out in a canoe.

I would say a small motor like that at trolling speed is making just enough power to run itself, the 6 amps is at or near full thottle so I don't know that it would charge a battery much at all.