Yamaha 225 vs 250 4 stroke

sjcordova

Cadet
I have the opportunity to by a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke with 60 hours or a brand new 225 4 stroke Yammie for my 240 hurricane. I am leaning towards the 225 because I get the 6 year warranty. The dry weight of the boat is 3700lbs and holds 70 gallons of fuel. Will I miss the extra horsepower of the 250?

getusummm

Seaman
Re: Yamaha 225 vs 250 4 stroke

It is my understanding that there are some pretty big differences between the 250 and 225 yamaha 4strokes. I would reccomend searching on thehullthruth.com for alot more info on the 2 engines.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

why go to THT??
I havent been on that site in quite a while but last time I was there I saw no master techs posting and a terrible amount of mis-information in the yamaha posting section.
you really cannot compare the F250 with the F225.
the F250 is a vastly more technilogically advanced engine system over the F225.
the F225 is a very solid performing engine with fairly simple electronic engine controls.
the F250 is painted the same color outside but is vastly different in the engine control systems.
if you use a dealership to do the sale the F250 may have transferable warrenty left and may also qualify for an extended dealer sales certified factory warrenty.
Yamaha does offer a warrenty for dealership certified used engine sales.
you may check on it.

the 25 HP difference isnt what your looking for as its 25HP at about 5500 RPM.
the difference is in the midrange and acceleration characteristics between a twin overhead cam 6 throttle shutter EFI with a TCI ign and a single throttle shutter twin overhead cam with variable intake cam timing and coil over plug TCI ign system.

sjcordova

Cadet

Thanks Rodbolt, The catch is that the F250 is on the Hurricane 237 hull, which has a lesser deadrise than the F225 powered 240 Hurricane which is new and has the deeper V and is more desirable to me. The F250 does come with the remaining 3 year warranty though. The other issue is the price. The new 240 is the same price as the used 237. It would be a no brainer if the new boat was powered with the F250. So simply put I either pull the trigger on the new boat or wait for one to come up with the F250 and pay for it. Decisions??????????????? :confused:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

now you just changed your post.
both engines are very reliable if the maint schedule is followed and the service performed by an actual trained tech, 5 star wont cut it.
now what your question is is what package is right for me, the water I fish and the method of fishing.
that question can ONLY be answered by YOU.
only advice I can give now is take both for a test ride in realworld conditions.
what is most important dry ride or stability when anchored or trolling? speed or fuel efficiency.
if the F250 was correctly rigged with command link guages you can watch actual fuel burn on the speed/fuel meter.
ofcourse the F225 from 06 and up can also use command link and is very much advised over the 6y5 guage package.
so your question now is which engine/hull package to buy.
only advice is to seatrial both.