1996 60 hp Yamaha 2 stroke trim & tilt problem

Bunofish

Recruit
I have a 1996 60hp yamaha 2 stroke which has a problem with the trim & tilt.
When pressing the switch to lowering or raising the engine you can hear an audible click but nothing happens. After letting the engine rest, the tilt will go up but not down. If left long enough - over night the it will then go down. However if you lift and lower the engine a few times it starts all over with only the audible click being heard.
Is this the trim & *** motor or something more sever?

New2me

Seaman
Re: 1996 60 hp Yamaha 2 stroke trim & tilt problem

Mine was doing somewhat the same thing and I replaced the tilt solinoid and that fixed my problem.

iang

Seaman Apprentice

It is unusual for both the up and down solenoids to fail at the same time.Locate the solenoid,should be on the left side looking at the motor from the front,down in the undercase.The trim solenois are easy to identify as one has a green wire to it and the other a blue.Connect a test light,one end to a good earth and the other to the big blue wire terminal on the solenoid and hold the trim button in the up position,if the light comes on and the motor fails to operate then the motor needs replacing,do the same test on the green for the down position of the switch.Hope this helps

JUSTINTIME

Captain

It is unusual for both the up and down solenoids to fail at the same time.Locate the solenoid,should be on the left side looking at the motor from the front,down in the undercase.The trim solenois are easy to identify as one has a green wire to it and the other a blue.Connect a test light,one end to a good earth and the other to the big blue wire terminal on the solenoid and hold the trim button in the up position,if the light comes on and the motor fails to operate then the motor needs replacing,do the same test on the green for the down position of the switch.Hope this helps

yami uses a relay box, not separate relays