Trim 0Set-Square Multi Func Meter

dacollins

Cadet
I have the Command Link Multifunction Meter (Square) for tach and one for speedo/fuel management. I tried to re-set the trim gauge to zero, because it was off by 1-2 bars when trimmed fully down. Followed the instructions on page 13 of the Command Link Operation Manual(part#6y8-2819U-00). Now the indicator does not show any movement when the trim/tilt is used. Stays at one bar.
Have I misunderstood the purpose of the 0Set (to set put the gauge at 0 when full down, right?) or have I missed a step? Any help will be appreciated.
david

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim 0Set-Square Multi Func Meter

first check the trim cam for breakage then the trim sender arm itself for range of motion.
what we normally see is a stuck sender.

dacollins

Cadet

Hey Rodbolt,
Yes I checked the cam (starboard bracket, spring loaded black plastic piece with a little leg on one end, appears to move freely). Re-did the 0set to make sure I did not miss a step, still nothing. Moved the cam/sender manually, and the gauge registers nothing. Did the 0set with motor fully up and the gauge registers 5/6 bars, but shows same at all engine positions. Did the 0set properly again, gauge returns to normal (1 bar), but doesn't move when engine raised. Gauge doesn't move when I move the cam/sender manually. I'm thinking the sending unit went bad coincidentally with the 0set I did. Hate to drag the boat all the way to Wanchese for this.
Your ideas??
thanks
david

dacollins

Cadet

So, I looked at this problem again this am. Made sure the cam moves freely. Gauge still reading 0 when motor up. Gauge worked before I did the 0set. Stopped working after I did the 0set. Did the 0set by the book (several times), what am I missing?? I guess next will be remove the sender, put meter on it. But, this is the sending end, what will that give me??
david

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

cant think of anything you can do by resetting the 0 position.
only thing I can say is it should NOT have ever changed to begin with,unless something was failing.
next step is to insure the single pink bullet style connector is still connected under the cowl.
then find the 2 wire pink and black connector, unplug it, trim the engine up, place your Ohmeter leads between pink and black on the sender side and slowly move the cam from full up to full down.
resistance should vary smoothly, out of memory I cant remember the specific values but something between about 75 and 250 should show up from down to up.

dacollins

Cadet

Gauge was showing 2/3 bars when motor was all the way down. Thought I'd try to correct that. What I get for thinkin'.
I'll check the connections and put Ohm meter on it to see if I am getting any reading. I'm glad it's nothing critical. I hardly use the gauge anyway. Trim mostly by "feel". The gauge provides a reference. Maybe I can get by 'til next scheduled service, if I can't figure it out. Probably time for me to buy a shop manual!! Thanks for the help, I'll give you a call at the shop if I need any more than this.
david

dacollins

Cadet

Hi Rodbolt,
Well this afternoon i checked the connection and it was good. Removed the connector from the holder, removed the sender side of the connection (pink and black wires). Set the DVM to Ohms and it read 125.6+. Never came off that number when moving the cam. It did get to 130 once with me really letting the spring fly back. Other wise, seems stuck/bad. Do I need a new sender? thanks for your troubleshooting help.
david

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sounds like your sender has failed.
not knowing the warrenty status of your rig I cant advise further.

dacollins

Cadet

New motor, in service less than a year. I talked to Steve on Tuesday. I'll see you next week sometime, I guess. thanks again for the troubleshooting help.
david

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no worries, I was half past dead tuesday so I wasnt in. good luck and cold weather bites.