Suzuki DT115/140 EFI Tilt Cylinder Leak / Repair

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Suzuki DT115 EFI 1996 with the newest model PTT with the plastic fluid reservoir on the side. The tilt cylinder leaks around the shaft. No corrosion on the shaft so I suspect the cap seal and wipers are bad.

Here is my problem, looking at the parts break down on the Brown?s Point site I am confused as to what seals are available. http://store.brownspoint.com/dt115/fig042-1158601.asp I don?t see a tilt cylinder shaft seal or wipers on the parts break down. Items 3, 10, and 11 are marked as O-ring ?sets? but the drawing only shows one o-ring??? I don?t see a Tilt Cylinder Head / Cap offered. It looks like you have to buy the Piston Assembly for $201 if the only way to get a new cylinder o-ring is to buy the cap???

The last part of my problem is I can?t get the 3 reservoir bolts loose nor can I get the three allens that secure the power unit and pump assembly http://store.brownspoint.com/dt115/fig040-1158601.asp . There is very little corrosion on the unit but when stainless and aluminum meet they love to stick. Because the reservoir is plastic I can not apply heat to the stuck bolts for fear of melting the reservoir and damaging the trim seals.

Anyone been down this road? I may need to call Brown?s Point Marine and find out what seals are really available.

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki DT115/140 EFI Tilt Cylinder Leak / Repair

I did some research and found out the bad news. To get the tilt cylinder o-ring and wiper seal for the cylinder cap you must order the entire $201 piston assembly says the parts manager at Brown's Point Marine. I think I'll go to a hydraulic shop and find a compatible o-ring and hope the wiper holds out. Dang that's crazy when the consumable parts are removeable I don't understand why they are not replacable. Oh well, just my luck!

Guido4198

Recruit

Thanks for taking the time to file that info. for all to see.
Sorry about your luck...perhaps you can find that compatible part, and get by for a while.

RRitt

Captain

the upper seals and washers should be included with a new cylinder top (head). try part # 48630-94900

However, you are left with the question of why you experienced such an early failure. If you don't find the reason for premature failure then it might just come right back.

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

I figured what the heck I have two other PTT assemblies so I may as well try to fix this one, what do I have to loose? I have a friend that is a heavy equipment mechanic. He has about 10,000 o-rings. He let me go though his collection and I found one that looked about right. I only replaced the ring in the cylinder cap because that is all that was leaking or wrong with the unit.

I reassembled it yesterday, filled it up, did the looooong air bleed procedure and no leak! It was even 28 deg last night and it is holding like a champ.

RR - the part that you pointed out is the trim head (2 needed). I needed the tilt head, or actually just the o-ring. I can't understand why they would sell one and not the other??? Well at least it is fixed for the moment I'm just waiting for something else to break! It's a boat right?

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey there, I was reading your posts because i have a 96 dt75 that i am having some trouble with. maybe you could help. I noticed in your post about the Tilt/Trim you mentioned " the long fluid bleeding/filling process. My unit (Showa system with plastic reservoir-- common on 1997+) is acting as though it needs fluid; It trims all-the-way up and then acts like fluid runs out at max up. then it wont go down unless I use the manual release to lower it just and inch or two.... then it wil go up and down no problem in the middle range of the tilt/trim. sound like liquid runs out kinda noise as the pump is running... when I open the fill screw to add fluid. ( after raising the motor all-the-way up manually, then supporting it, and closing the manual relief valve ) it has fluid coming out as if it is full... I forced some fluid in quickly once with a pump and quickly put the cap back in, and it worked better for a bit. any advice would be great. shop manual is not helping me much... thanks alot everyone

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

Air Bleeding

The procedure calls for filling the reservoir with the engine tilted full up. Because your engine is a little smaller you may be able to open the manual valve and "lift" it by hand. If you can't lift it by hand you can power tilt it up.

In the UP position, tilt lock the engine, tighten the manual valve, fill the fluid reservoir, and let it sit for 5 minutes (you may want to wait first then fill to help work more air out of the fluid).

Unlock the tilt, power tilt DOWN and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Power tilt UP, tilt lock, check fluid level and fill (it needs fluid if none runs out), let it sit in the up position for 5 minutes.

Repeat over and over until no more fluid can be added to the reservoir.

I hope this helps.

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks alot for your time.... that would definateley help me, but Im not sure what the problem is, when i tilt it up and support it, the reservoir seemed to have some air pressure b/c it sprayed air and fluid out. and fluid was coming out rapidly like it was too full. however, its acting like it doesn't have enough fluid. hence; when I tilt it up all the way it stops at dead top. and then its like the system wont suck the motor back down when i try to tilt it down... i have to manually lower it an inch or two, and then it will go down with the switch? not sure what to do? maybe i should drain all the fluid and start from scratch? what do ya think.

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having taken my PTT unit apart once and looking at the detailed fuction information in the shop manual it is possible that a tiny sping or ball bearing valve could be stuck or clogged. I am a hydraulics novice at best and don't really have a clue what could be causing this strange problem.

Chris Havoc

Recruit

Having taken my PTT unit apart once and looking at the detailed fuction information in the shop manual it is possible that a tiny sping or ball bearing valve could be stuck or clogged. I am a hydraulics novice at best and don't really have a clue what could be causing this strange problem.

I have a 97 dt115 and am having trim trouble. Trim will not raise to begin with....then slowly gets better and better.....Fluid is milky...I suspect water. I have the shop manual but nowhere in it have I found a description of how to drain the system without removing it? Can I just remove the manual release valve to drain the system or is there a plug that I have overlooked?