yamaha 140 hp stalling

scott10

Recruit
my 140hp on weekend was running fine until about 10 nm out to sea i slowed down to about 3 knots when i went to take off again the motor started to stutter and shake then stop when i start it up again it idles fine but when i take off and get above 5 knots it stutters and stalls again the motor let me limp home aslong i didnt go above 4 to 5 knots and it sounds fine running at that speed if you could give me some idea what it could be that would be great

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: yamaha 140 hp stalling

oil or temp can cause the engine to go into rpm reduction mode.
did your gauge flash anything?

Also, check all battery connections.

Guido4198

Recruit
Re: yamaha 140 hp stalling

When my DF115's did that, it turned out to be a fuel flow issue. Emptying the fuel tank, replacing the VST filters,Inline filters,Racor filters, fuel lines and bulbs corrected the problem.(For now..) I'm now using "Stabil Marine" additive to our (mandated) E10 fuel and waiting to see how long it lasts.:mad:
when I was having the problem...I was able to drain a cloudy, syrupy goop out of the Racors...My motors started fine, and ran up to 1500-1800 rpms...but would not go over. It was a LONGGGGG>....ride back in @ 6mph from 12mi. out that evening.