My new Yamaha 90HP 4 stroke is making a creaking noise...

elandesfeind

Recruit
I just bought a new boat with a new 90 HP Yamaha 4 stroke on it.
Every time I get on the gas (either forward or reverse), a creaking noise comes from the motor. The same thing happens when I slow down suddenly.
It sounds like the housing is shifting or rubbing. The noise happens once for a second and then stops.
Is this normal?
If not, any ideas?

James R

Commander
Re: My new Yamaha 90HP 4 stroke is making a creaking noise...

There is rarely anything wrong with a new Yamaha so I must say that it is associated with the mounting or rigging. Have someone sit out with the motor and listen and feel. Make sure he or she doesn't fall off the boat.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I agree...seems like you need another person on board to help localize the noise. Many things in the rigging or maybe in the bilge or steering could give a little noise. Only creaking from my Yamaha comes when the trim pistons have lost their coat of grease on top where they mate up with the motor...Good luck with your rig. By the way, what's that Yammy mated to? And we always like to have a few pictures!! :)

elandesfeind

Recruit

I had my buddy hang over the stern when I revved it up (yes, he almost fell over the side...). He said that the noise was coming from the motor itself. By the sound, he guessed that it was happening when the motor leaned into the hydraulic lift when the torque made it go forward.

By the way, the boat is a 2008 1860 Blazer Bay. It is an 18' 6" bay boat that we got to fish inshore bass in Southern California. Here are a couple pics.

boat_b.jpg

boat_a.jpg

boat4.jpg

Other than the creaking noise, the boat is awesome.
We made some modifications to the standard options package, like deck level lighting (to help when we fish at night) and an oversized bow rail because we often fish boiler rocks in less than calm conditions. I was doubtful about getting the boat with a 90 horse (I thought that we'd need at least a 115, but it's plenty fast (cruises at around 35 MPH). The boat is very stable and comes with a 50 gallon fuel tank so range is not an issue when fishing the offshore islands (up to 60 miles from the dock).
We went with the 80 lb thrust Minn Kota Riptide with auto pilot. I can't say enough about the auto pilot feature... The other day, we were fishing a bay in 20 to 25 MPH wind and the thing held us on a spot with almost no adjustments necessary. We also got the Humminbird plotter / fish finder combo with the side imaging sonar. We are still getting the hang of using it, but so far I am very impressed with the way the side imaging sonar works. We fished a wreck in 75 feet of water and were able to clearly make out every detail of the wreck and were able to locate fish that were suspended above it. This feature really cuts down on driving around in circles and trying to find a spot on the up and down meter.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Fine lookin rig!! And did you check to see if the pistons were dry on top? A little lithium grease will last for a while, but it does wash off. Seems like the 90 is plenty of power as well. Must get some awesome mpg...

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

the creaks from the mounting can appear to come from the motor, new boat, new motor, if the noise persists, take it back to the dealer.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you may try some good water proof grease on the trim ram tips. if they are dry it will creak as they slide.
other than that, dealer time.