02 yamaha 150 buzzer/wont start

roger777

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a boat with an 02 yamaha 150 txra. I ran the motor and comp. test checked out fine. I swapped the motor to an angler hull I had. Now when I turn the ignition it will turn over but wont start. Sounds like it is not getting any fuel but it is..The buzzer goes off half the time when I turn it over. I do not have any gauges hooked up to it. I dont know if it has something to do with the oil injection. there was no prime ball in the line to the motor for oil so I put one in same thing. I am getting fuel and spark. I disconnected the ground to the starter and noticed a small spark when i tap the wire to the starter. Does that mean something is grounding out? I checked all connections and they seem to be fine..i am going to try starter fluid tomorrow.. One other thing I notice is when I turn the key the starter seems very sluggish the first couple seconds then starts turning over quickly..Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 02 yamaha 150 buzzer/wont start

DO NOT use starting fluid on a two stroke motor. There is no lubrication in this stuff. Use gasoline/oil mix in a spray bottle. Disconnect the large harness plug at the engine and simply jump the starter. If the engine fires you have a main harness compatability issue.

roger777

Petty Officer 3rd Class

for some reason when I jump the starter it will spin but it will not engage.. I jumped it from solenoid and directly to starter. Now that you bring up main harness when i pulled the old harness off there was one pin on the harness to control side that was coroded and broken off. The top 3 pins are straight the middle 4 are straight and the bottom3 are at a round angle. It was the middle pin bottom row. I was trying to do research to find out what this pin was for but could not find out. Since the harness side to the motor was not damaged I thought I would be alright with new main harness, but I should know better. It did not burn up for no reason.
Thanks

jukes23

Seaman Apprentice

Couple things. When you swapped the motors, did you have to re-rig it with the same control cables and such or did the Angler have the rigging for a yamaha motor? May sound dumb, but did you make sure the lanyard is connected? I have a 115 txra and from my limited knowledge, there is only a couple things that cause the buzzer to go off, two major ones being overheating and the oil level floats.
I had an issue where one of the oil injection system indicator wires got loose and was was grounding out against the engine. Check all of your connections to make sure they are connected.

First off.
the battery sounds weak.

Did it fire when you spray a Fuel mix into the opening?

Les

roger777

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I finally got it started with the premix spray. Once the motor warms up It will start fine but when it is cold it takes a while and I have to use the spray.. I assume i need to get the carbs clean. The buzzer only goes off once in a while when i am trying to start it up. it does not sound when motor is running. When I am starting and it does sound it is only for a second then it stops.