Yamaha 250 vx76 Oil Injection problems

sdudra

Cadet
I have a 1992 or 1993 vx76 250 HP Outboard. I have been dealing with issues with the oil alarm sounding on the gauges. All 3 blinking.

I have read NUMEROUS post of the same issues happening. I have cleaned the filter, I have jumped wires, I have checked everything that everyone else has already done. I did find that my tilt trim sensor appeared to be sticking and corrected this.

I took the boat out today and it ran fine until I got 13 miles offshore and the same alarm. I immediately took the cowling off and noticed the oil tank on the side of the motor was low. I filled this up and headed back in. I had to stop 1 more time to fill this tank back up in order to make it to the docks.

I think that I have had it with the VRO system on this engine. I would like to remove it and just go "old school" and premix. I understand that I am going to get a lot of slack regarding this and everyone, I know that the oil system is "supposed" to be bullet proof. However, it is no fun to have to worry about these things when trying to enjoy a day on the water with the family.

So RodBolt and others, HOW CAN I REMOVE IT so that my alarms will not sound? I will just mix it at 50:1. PLEASE let me know either here, or email me directly at
Thanks everyone!

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha 250 vx76 Oil Injection problems

Just curious, have you done the remote oil tank transfer test? Sounds like your remote oil tank is not filling up the engine oil tank fast enough.

My friend had this problem and we ended up cleaning the little external filter/check valve on the remote oil tank with carb cleaner to remove the crudded up oil.

http://books.google.com/books?id=wk...oard+service+manual&source=gbs_search_s&cad=0

sdudra

Cadet

Just curious, have you done the remote oil tank transfer test? Sounds like your remote oil tank is not filling up the engine oil tank fast enough.

My friend had this problem and we ended up cleaning the little external filter/check valve on the remote oil tank with carb cleaner to remove the crudded up oil.

http://books.google.com/books?id=wk...oard+service+manual&source=gbs_search_s&cad=0

I looked at the link that you provided and could not find that little external filter / check valve that you spoke of. I took EVERYTHING off of the motor side tank and cleaned and checked EVERYTHING twice the last time that I battled this problem. I dont mind the VRO system on the motor but geez it is getting aggravating enough that I want it gone as it would be one less thing to worry about.

If I am reading that manual right, there really is nothing that I need to do with the pump. Would I just leave it on there and disconnect the switches that trigger the alarms? Would anything need to be done since the computer on the motor is involved?

Thanks!

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The problem would be with the remote oil tank, not the oil tank that is on the engine itself.

the remote oil tank has a little external filter that can get clogged up.
On the link, go to page 412/413 and look at figures 12 and 13. In the lower left of those pics is the remote oil tank external filter that can get clogged up and cause the transfer to the engine oil tank to take too long causing the 3 blinking lights to come on the gauge.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wont tell you how to premix cause your not gonna listen nor are you going to be able to consistently premix 80+ gallons at a time.
but I will tell you that now you need to drain the engine tank,remove the engine tank strainer assy and find the old strainer to tank seal and replace it with a new one,
then remove the remote tank,look on the bottom of the tank,replace the small inline oil filter,while the remote tank is out I reccomend cleaning the tank as well.
the slow transfer by itself wont trigger alarms.
what the 3 flashing bars indicate is the remote tank has sufficient oil for automatic transfer yet the engine tank is low and a system malfunction has occured because in normal operation this cannot happen.
for normal opereration on the V76 motors you have to have an engine run signal from the pulser coils and SWB(the float switch in the remote) closed.
V76 does not use the trim sender for oil transfer at all.
a quick test, make sure the remote tank is at leats 1/2 full, with the key on and engine off cut the tie strap and carefully remove the water trap from the engine tank,drain the tank until the alarm sounds then reattache the water trap.
at this point you should have an audible,3 bars flashing and the oil transfer pump on.
the engine tank should refill and shutoff in 180 seconds or less.
anything longer than 180 seconds means there is either a restriction or low transfer pump voltage.
when the engine tank is low will it refill via the emergency oil transfer switch?
this system is so simple its unreal yet kicks technician butt year after year after year.
dunno why but it does.
but be very careful testing this system as it does not operate like a similar year 2.6L v6.
make sure your in the correct section of the manual or use the factory 250yamaha manual.
some years back I sold another tech an 1100 dollar ECU cause he was trying to jump the blue,green wire to ground with the engine off and expecting oil transfer ,wont happen cause for automatic transfer to occur the ECU was looking for an engine running signal.
so will it transfer with the emergency switch?
will it refill the engine tank in 180 seconds or less?
we gotta break this up to its subsystems, is it a control issue or a power supply issue?
or is it simply a clogged filter that will allow the engine oil pump to consume oil faster than the remote transfer pump can resupply the engine tank??

sdudra

Cadet

Rodbolt,

I knew that your words of wisdom might restore my desire to leave factory things in place. I WILL do what you have suggested with both the remote tank and the engine tank.

I will call the dealer today and try to get these 2 filters that you speak of.

However, as I sat 15 miles offshore yesterday, I could not hear the oil pump click on with the emergency switch. However, this could be do to kids on the boat and water hitting the boat with the waves. I will test ALL of these things and get back to you asap.

I also sent you an instant message. If you received it, please let me know as I also have an issue with cold starts that are REALLY driving me nuts as well.

Thanks,

Stephen

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I will help with both issues to the best of my ability. would be nice if yamaha paid my time but who cares :)
couple that with the fact I got married last month, got a family thing with the inlaws next week in orlando FL and another Yamaha school from the 11th to the 16th in kennesaw,I am busy.
DO NOT pm me with tech questions. the PM function on my 8 year old computer is iffy. sometimes it simply closes all explorer windows.
post a seperate thread about the cold start issue coupled with your EXACT cold start procedure.
good luck and ill try what I can.
the transfer pump should hum anytime the key is on and the emergency switch is toggled, you may need an assistant to aid you but there will be no clicks.

jimshellenback

Recruit

I have same problem with same motor. Does the engine have to be running for the transfer pump to come on? I installed a new oil pump today. I got the thing installed clean, jumped it off the battery, and it pumps great. However I cant get the thing to come on with the alarm manually triggered from the sending unit on the engine resivoir.

Jim

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have same problem with same motor. Does the engine have to be running for the transfer pump to come on? I installed a new oil pump today. I got the thing installed clean, jumped it off the battery, and it pumps great. However I cant get the thing to come on with the alarm manually triggered from the sending unit on the engine resivoir.

Jim

Once again......
Unfortunately the Original Poster has not been to iboats since May 2011.

If you click on a username and look at peoples profiles.....it shows the last visit.

If you have a question you could try to send people a PM.......... OR start your own repair thread and pose the question to the people who visit daily. You may be surprised by the responses you will get.

Please pay attention to the posting dates and check out the profiles and that would help.
​Using an old post with a similar problem is called "hijacking" PLEASE start a new post ;)

jimshellenback

Recruit

Once again......
Unfortunately the Original Poster has not been to iboats since May 2011.

If you click on a username and look at peoples profiles.....it shows the last visit.

If you have a question you could try to send people a PM.......... OR start your own repair thread and pose the question to the people who visit daily. You may be surprised by the responses you will get.

Please pay attention to the posting dates and check out the profiles and that would help.
​Using an old post with a similar problem is called "hijacking" PLEASE start a new post ;)

Please understand I am 41 years old and I dont know much about computers or hijacking. I didnt realize I was hijacking sorry.