Buzzer on 2002 Yamaha 2 Stroke-115hp

jukes23

Seaman Apprentice
I took my boat out and ran it for about 2 hours or so. I had some issues earlier in the month (running lean) that required me to clean the carbs out. Anyways, coming into the dock today, as we were putting the boat on the trailer, the buzzer started going off.
Trailered the boat home, hooked up the ear muffs and turned the key. Buzzer is going off. I checked the lanyard, its ok. I pulled the cowl and the the oil level is ok. Turned the key again, no buzzer. Start up the boat, buzzer comes on, but really faint, rev up the motor, buzzer gets louder, bring it back to idle, goes faint again. A couple minutes later, buzzer stops completely. :confused:

Any thoughts on what this could be? At first I thought overheating, but we would have seen that earlier in the day, plus I had great water pressure (20+ psi)

Also, what does the buzzer cover as far as safety warnings? I know the lanyard, low oil and overheating, but is there anything else? Does anybody have a listing of the items that will cause the buzzer to go off?

jukes23

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Buzzer on 2002 Yamaha 2 Stroke-115hp

I dont have the Yamaha gauges on the boat..I wish I did.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

There is a way to test the oil switch and over heat, i have to dig up my manual

If you need a manual PM me

jukes23

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I hooked up the muffs and wanted to see if I could replicate the issue. I let the boat run at a fast idle for about 15 minutes, bumped it up for a little bit longer...no buzzer
I then put it in idle and raised the engine (dont know how far, but it wasnt all the way up) and put it in gear...buzzer. put it in idle, lowered the motor, no buzzer.
Is there a trim warning on the buzzer as well?

jukes23

Seaman Apprentice

JustinTime
So the motor did it again today, after we hit some wake out in the intercoastal. I checked the resarvour tank when I got home and it was really low on oil. when the buzzer comes on, I drop to about 3000 RPMS

My question is the resarvour tank is low (I know there is a sensor in there) will it close the circuit for the buzzer to go off?

Also, if this buzzer goes off for these various reasons (overheating, low oil, etc), I assume I have the wiring I need in the console (that is where the buzzer is) to put the yamaha gauge in that will show the reason for the buzzer.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the switch on the remote oil tank is simply an on off switch,when there is enough oil in the remote tank for automatic transfer the switch is closed and a ground signal is sent to the yamaha digital guage to illuminate a green lamp indicating remote tank level is ok. no alarms associated with the remote tank.
when the level drops the ground is removed, the indicator goes yellow,or center bar depending on year of the guage, and automatic transfer is inhibited and there is enough oil in the remote for 2 manual transfers using the switch on the oil control module.
now at the engine tank, when the key is on the brown wire to the remote tank oil pump has 12V+, the return current path,ground, is made by either the manual switch or the oil control module.
the control for the module is via the 3 position tank switch.
float full up the white wire is grounded telling the module to turn the pump off, as the oil is consumed from the engine tank the level drops.
once the 2nd switch is activated by the lowered float level the brown wire is grounded and the module turns the pump on,the pump will now run until another white wire ground signal turns it off.
if for any reason the engine continues to consume oil faster than the transfer is occuring the float will drop to the last position and now the red wire is grounded telling the module to set the alarm via the pink main harness wire and sends the same ground signal to the CDI telling it to go into RPM reduction the oil control module also sets a ground on the g/r tach harness and illuminates the red lamp or farthest left bar alerting the operator the engine tank is low.
now here is where the CORRECT instrument package is so nice, ooohhhhh an audible is set, the operator looks immediatly at his Yamaha digital guage package, sees the green oil lamp is illuminated, now the operator knows most likly he has an overheat.
or the operator sees the red lamp and knows wow I am low on oil in the engine tank.
or all 3 are flashing and the operator now knows 2 things.
1 is the engine tank is low,2 is there is enough in the remote tank that automatic oil transfer should have occured.
if you suspect oil check the filter at the bottom of the remote tank outlet for restrictions.
its possible to have a slow transfer due to a restriction that will allow the tank to refill at low speeds but the engine will consume it faster than the transfer can occur at high speeds thus triggering an occasional high speed alarm that will quit shortly after its brought back to idle.
normally if it actually overheated it will take 10-15 min to cool that chunk of aluminum lower than about 155 degrees to shut off the overheat audible.
precision blend is actually quite simple you just have to remember several things are happing at the same time.

jukes23

Seaman Apprentice

Rodbolt,
Thanks for the reply. I am going to look at replacing my aftermarket guage (that is what came with the boat) with the Yamaha gauges. It gets impossible to figure out what the warning based on the buzzer. If it had a beep code, that is another thing.
So here is what I know. We ran the motor a good 7 hours trolling. No buzzer. Came back in at WOT, no buzzer. I trimmed up the motor some, buzzer goes off. I put it in neutral, trim it back down, power back up, no buzzer. After 3 mins or so, go back to WOT, no buzzer. Hit a big boat's wake, buzzer and motor bucked back to 3000-4000 rpm (cant remember precise).
I was pretty close to the dock, so I went back in at cruising speed. I checked the oil level under the cowling and it was full. Checked the oil level in the holding tank: really really low.

What could it be? Understanding what causes the buzzer warnings is a huge help. So is it just oil level and overheating?

Based on what you said about the overheating, needing a few mins to cool down, I dont think its overheating as once you go back to neutral, (trim the motor down if its up a little) and its fine.

Really confusing.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

could be a loose connection or a poor connection at the engine tank, if you unplug,or the oil control module thinks you did, the engine oil tank while the engine is running it sets the buzzer.
that motor does not use trim position for any oil system functions. only engines that used the trim sender for any oiling functions was the 2.6L V6 from 90-95.
you can check the engine tank switch with a multimeter.
float all the way up,continuity between black and white,possibly blue/white. float at midpoint,continuity from brown to black,possibly blue/green to black. float ll the way down continuity from red to black.
you may have to reverse the meter leads as I have no way of knowing which lead is actually positive and negative on your meter and the engine tnk switch has some diodes as a hold circuit.
best I remember a loose battery connection or loss of voltage to the control module can trigger an alarm.

jukes23

Seaman Apprentice

I will head to the boat a little later and check with a meter. I cant be 100% certain, but I thought the oil tank sensor on the engine only had 2, maybe 3 wires.
A loose battery connection at the control module sounds plausible. Is this the oil control module?

jukes23

Seaman Apprentice

OK,
I did as you suggested and pulled the oil tank float connection; it did not go off. However, I did not pull it when it was running but rather pulled it before I started it. Should I run the motor and then pull it?
Its definitely got to be grounding out or something. There is plenty oil in the tank under the cowling. I raise the motor up, start it up: Buzzer. As I trim the motor down, the buzzer fades until it finally stops when motor is positioned all the way down.
I checked everything for a loose wire, but couldnt find anything. My hypothesis is that as the there is a loose wire that when the motor is tilted or hits a bump, it gets pushed up against the motor or some other ground.

My questions are:
1. What systems in the motor are connected to the buzzer?
2. I want to replace my tach with Yamaha gauge that gives me the read out. Which one should I get that will work with my motor?
3. Will I need to run any additional wiring for the guage to work or does the gauge plug into the same harness as the buzzer?

Any info you can provide is a huge help.