• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Fuel Leaking out of Carb, Squirting out of main nozzle....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Leaking out of Carb, Squirting out of main nozzle....

1988 Yamaha 130, Boat sat for 12 months, would start but would not idle. I rebuilt the carbs and put on a new fuel pump. It now starts easy and will idle but idles very rough. I noticed that fuel was dumping out of the top left carbs main nozzle and then out of the front of the carb, I have attached a picture below pointing to the carb and nozzle. The nozzle almost reminds me of a water fountain spitting up water. I dont see any of the other three nozzles pouring out fuel like this. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Fuel Leaking out of Carb, Squirting out of main nozzle....

Stuck float or float needle.
    sigpic

Comment

This may sound like a dumb question but Any way to unstick it by lightly tapping the side of the carb with a hammer, or does it need to come off.

Comment

Did you buy a kit or re-use old parts? Taping may un-stick it but it will not fix it.

Comment

You need to find and remove the cause of the sticking float or leaking needle valve.
          sigpic

Comment

I took off the carb and opened up the bottom bowl and took off the float and needle valve and readjusted it. The carb was rebuilt with a new carb kit last week. When I put the carb back on it now wont start on its own. After growing frustrated I sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and it would start for about 3-4 seconds then die out as if it were running out of gas. While it was stalling I would prime the bulb which was stiff and that didnt change it from stalling. The only way it would restart is if I sprayed starter fluid in the carb and it would then quickly die out again. Any ideas where to go from here. It was running and starting pretty good when the float was stuck just not idling very well. Now it doesn't want to start and wont stay running.

Comment

first.... even though it's probably not the problem... check your compression.
              then check for spark with a spark board or other spark checker.
              Then with a timing light, check your base timing.
              Then syncronize all the mechanical linkages in the carbs. all of the throttle plates should be closed completely.
              Then turn in all of the idle adjustment screws all the way in until they LIGHTLY seat. then turn them all out 1 and 1/2 turns. Now try it, it should fire off if you did everything correctly.

On a side note.... if the bowl vent in the carb is clogged, and you missed it during the rebuild, you can get fuel to pour out of the main nozzles.
              just because you found it that way does not mean it is supposed to be that way.

Comment

With due respect, Jason, he has already proved that the trouble is in the fuel supply. Why waste time messing with compression and ignition??

Tim, I think you have introduced a new trouble. Are you working with the factory Service Manual?
                sigpic

Comment

With due respect back to ya JB.... from what I read in this thread, the OP hasn't proved anything.

On an outboard a compression check takes all of 10 minutes... so why wouldn't you do it? A spark check takes all of 1 minute if you have the right tools.... So again... why wouldn't you do it?
                  I've never heard somebody calling a compression and ignition check on an outboard a waste of time before.

On those yamaha's... Depending on the carb thats on it, sometimes they will be a 2 barrel 2 stroke carb(as opposed to individual carbs) with only 1 float. Sometimes the float boat has 2 seperate sealed chambers, with 2 floats. you need to know what your working with, and how carb's work.
                  just because you found it that way does not mean it is supposed to be that way.

Comment

I have been using a Clymer manual. I checked compression yesterday and got between 116 - 120 on all four cylinders. Any idea which direction to go from here?

Comment

ideas?
                      yep.
                      lets get that fuel system fixed,correctly.
                      do your carbs have a single float per carb or twin floats per carb?
                      no tech questions by PM, they wont get answered.
                      you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to .

Comment

There are two floats in each carb.

Comment

Hmmmmmm. All of the evidence I see points to fuel. None to compression or ignition.

Maybe waste of time wasn't the best terminology.

If introducing fuel (albeit in the form of deadly poison starting fluid) allows the engine to start and run until that fuel is exhausted, how do you justify distracting attention from that evidence to test other systems that are obviously working??

Yes, Tim: Never use starting fluid (ether). It has no lubricant and can cause serious damage. Use fuel premix.
                          sigpic

Comment

ok, lets get them carbs off and the fuel bowls removed.
                            remove the mainjets,the 12mm bress plugs with a slot, carefully check the orange oring on the jet tip for damage.
                            remove the idle fuel jet plugs then the idle fuel, manual may call them pilot fuel.
                            carefully clean the bowls and jets. set aside.
                            now remove the float pins,floats and needles.
                            carefully clean the needle seats with a cotton swap DO NOT use metal tipped objects as the seats are NOT replacable.
                            carefully inspect the needle tips with a magnifying glass.
                            if the rubber is scared or has a ridge toss them for new ones.
                            now with good needles install a new fuel bowl gasket,install the floats,with the carb body still upside down measure from the gasket to the top of the float at the front edge, should be .63" plus or minus .02".
                            thats roughly 5/8ths of an inch.
                            if the tang on the float needs to be adjusted the float should be removed,the tang bent and the height rechecked.
                            dont try to bend the tang with the float installed as its possible to jam the needles into the seats.
                            I cant remember the float drop spec but if you flip the body right side up the floats should drop 3/8ths of an inch or so and the needles will pull off the seats.
                            while the carbs are off remove the fuel pump and inspect the diaphram, I reccomend simply replacing the pump as its not much more than the kit but thats up to you.
                            clean the filter and cup.
                            carefully check that the quick connect fitting on the lower pan can flow fuel. orings go bad here too.
                            button it all back up,do the link and sync and go boating.
                            no tech questions by PM, they wont get answered.
                            you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to .

Comment

Carbs were rebuilt last weekend with new carb kits. All parts in the kit were used. Every screw or jet was taken out and cleaned and all holes and orifices were sprayed with carb cleaner and compressed air. It was gunk free and clean when I put it back together. Floats were set to .50 inch per my manual. I would hate to have to break the carbs back open again but if thats what needs to be done I will do it. The funny thing is it started and ran ok but idled kind of rough when the main nozzle on the top left carb was pouring gas, then I take the top carb off and check and adjust the float and now it wont run at all. Any avenues to try before I break down the carbs again?

Comment

Working...
                              X