yamaha water pump repair kit issue

khoi30

Seaman Apprentice
Well I rebulit my water pump today. Now its not working. This is what I did.
I drop the lower unit. Remove the plastic housing , remove SS cover remove the old impeller and all the old gasket. Now putting it back togather with new one. First I make sure everything is clean.I put the new gasket on than the SS gasket then another gasket. then the Key or woodruff, side the new impeller in .Put the SS cover over it . Then the plastic housing screw everything down. Put the lower unit back on the motor (Yamaha 90HP).
Turn the motor over on nurtral engine running on ear muff. But no water come out the pee hole. Should I try to put the engine in gear see if water come out. Any help will be great.

Thanks

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: yamaha water pump repair kit issue

NO....should pump in nuetral! being in gear won't have any affect. You got something wrong, maybe the direction of the impeller (spin) was wrong, gotta make sure the fins are pointed the right way for the rotation or the shaft. better tear it apart and try again.

What size engine?

khoi30

Seaman Apprentice

Engine side is 1997 90hp Yamaha. I believe I turn all the fine clockwise. But not sure I will doubble check in the morning. After install the repair kit.Its kind of hard to turn the drive shaft. is that normal.

Thanks

mcButch

Recruit

Wipe a little grease on the empeller and in the housing cup. Take off your motor cover. Slide the pump housing down the shaft until it contacts the empeller. While pushing down on the housing, stick your hand under the fly wheel cover and it is easy to turn the shaft clockwise (correct way), with the fly wheel. The housing should slide on as you turn the fly wheel. The shaft - pump is always turning if the motor is running. Try your fast idle. Did you read my water pump issue?

khoi30

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all your help. I findly got it working. The impeller fin was in the wrong direction.

Thanks

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all your help. I findly got it working. The impeller fin was in the wrong direction.

Thanks

I thought the fins would reverse themselves if not pointed the right way.
Glad it's working for you anyway.