Yamaha 4-Stroke 50 Bogging

OmniPo

Cadet
Well, I've been troubleshooting/wrenching on this motor for the last few days.

Finally got it in the water and took her for a test run. I could not get the engine to rev past 2800 rpm. If I tried to give any more throttle at that point she just bogs-down and threatens to stall.

If you bring the throttle back to idle the motor quits almost instantly. The first time I tried to restart... she started right back up.

The second time I tried this little experiment I couldn't get her to start again and ended-up paddling home :( .

It sounds to me like a fuel issue, but the carburetors were just rebuilt last year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated (I hope I've provided enough information).

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 4-Stroke 50 Bogging

Bad fuel pump, bad fuel, water in fuel, air leak in fuel line, one or more floats stuck, clogged jets, bad plugs, stuck anti-siphone valve (if there is one) are just a few things to check. You've not mentioned what you checked, what you found, and what you didn't check.

OmniPo

Cadet

I have really only gotten as far as pumping any old fuel out of the tank and replacing w/ fresh fuel and a decarb additive. But, that's what I was trying to run it on in the beginning.

The fuel bulb seems to be working properly, it's not getting sucked-flat... etc.

I guess I will start with checking the plugs. Thanks.

mpzbz

Recruit

i have a 2004 edgewater power boat with a 50 hp motor on it it only has 18 hrs on the motor but has been sitting for awhile wont let me accelerate past a slow stroll i dont know what to do can anyone help

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

i have a 2004 edgewater power boat with a 50 hp motor on it it only has 18 hrs on the motor but has been sitting for awhile wont let me accelerate past a slow stroll i dont know what to do can anyone help

Start a new thread, with all your info and questions, instead of adding to an old thread. Just click on the Create New Post.
http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=26

Sounds like you may need to pull and clean carbs