1993 yamaha steering issue

mmotleys

Cadet
Looking for some help on very tight steering.I have a 1993 yamaha 115 have had it for about 3 yrs now.When i first bought boat from the guy i had baystar hydro steering installed.The steering was tight before that and was better after the baystar was installed but still tight.I had someone work on it but said its a problem down in the shaft being corroded from the saltwater.He said that he tried to smooth it down the best he could, but in order to get it right it would have to be replaced and that they were expensive.The steering is always easier when motor is tilted.Is there another problem here or something i can try to make easier to turn?I also have another ? i want to replace the fuel filterI bought new filter but cannot figure out how to get the thing apart tried turning top piece and bottom piece but cannot get it apart.Does anyone know how these guys come apart so ican get old filter out?

Thx mms

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 yamaha steering issue

if its tight with hydrualic steering then odds are high your tech is correct, the steering bushings are being collapsed against the shaft due to corrosion and the only fix is complete dissasembly of the mid section and steering yoke removal.
on the filter I havent a clue as we dont know which filter nor where its located or if its even a yamaha part.

mmotleys

Cadet

Ok thanks on the steering.I believe that is what the guy who worked on it had said.The fuel filter is an inline filter on the right side inside the cowling(right side if u r facing the back of boat)Its just a small clear cannister with a small filter inside.I have the correct filter to replace it with but cannot figure out how to open it up.The mechanic i bought filter from is a yamaha tech he said it should screw off but that is def not working.

Thx MMS

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I brought mine back by disconnecting the steering link and
greasing the hell out of the zerk while moving the motor back and forth by hand.
Some guys add some heat at the same time.
I also get up to the top with some T9.
Then you have to stay on top of it or it will seize up.
I use the blue grease from OMC I like it stays on and won't wash off easily.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ok, lets knock off left side right side
its port or stbd and always as if your in the boat looking at the bow(pointy end :) )
the filter cup on the port side of the engine screws off,not always easily but it does.
occasionally,especially since the ethanol blended fuels, I have to remove the cup and bracket assy and gently lock the square part of the bracket in a vise.
pull to hard while its mounted and it will break off the mounting stud from the plastic.
unless the filter is damaged on that model we usually just clean them.
a water seperator like the mini-10 is reccomended.
any decent quality 10 micron water seperator will help though.

mmotleys

Cadet

Yes it is on the port side.I dont want to damage it as i tried to hold it with channel locks but couldnt break it loose.I just replaced the seperator with a top of the line one from yamaha.Should i not worry about the filter if she is running good ?I just dont know the age of it or when it was last replaced but looking at it through cannister it didnt look to bad.

Thx MMS

Are you trying to get the clear canister apart or the filter off?

the canister has a big nut that unscrews , the filter pops in and seals with an o-ring.

Les

mmotleys

Cadet

I was trying to get the clear cannister off.There is a small filter inside the cannister that is the one i was trying to replace.There is a small nut that holds the cannister on.I took that off then u can hold the cannister in your hand but couldnt get it apart.I didnt see a nut on top of the clear cannister it has a black cover on it.

MMS