Starting problem Suzuki DT115 (1990 )

Lazza

Recruit
Hi there, I recently bought a boat with a DT115 that needed reconditioning which has been done. However,I find the motor is hard to start.ie; I sometimes have to crank it over for a minute or so. I squeeze the fuel bulb until hard and then some more just in case, raise throttle lever 1.5inches, press choke and turn key. I'm not a mechanic obviously but have a basic understanding of the workings of a motor and it seems to me it has a carburetion broblem. Was out recently and had to change over fuel tanks after the motor died, squeezed the bulb hard and cranked over without choke. No go. Squeezed bulb again, more cranking and after about 3mins it started. Very nerve racking, rough seas and don't want to repeat that experience. HELP! Could it possibly be float levels, carb air/fuel mixtures, jets etc or all of the above! Is this something a novice with basic knowledge can look at? Any suggestions please?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting problem Suzuki DT115 (1990 )

What have you done to try and isolate the problem? Have you pulled the plugs to see how they look? When were they changed last? Are they all the same color? Wet, black, carbon fouled? Have you checked spark intensity. You may have spark but if its intensity is not high enough it cannot fire properly. Is the primer/choke actually working. Pushing the key in you should here the click of the primer or choke. There is no reason to go after complicated stuff until you've eliminated the simple things that you can diagnose with your eyes and ears.

James R

Commander

First check that the choke butterflys are closing fully when the choke is applied. If there is any missalignment of the choke sol and mechanism this will prevent the chokes from fully closing. This is a common problem.
Starting procedure is to pump the bulb untill hard, pull the warm up lever up as required, (rigging varies) turn the key and hold it in choke position untill the motor fires. May need to activate the choke on and off untill the motor stabilizes. Shut off the warm up lever as soon as possible. These motors have an electronic system to run the motor in fast idle untill it is happy. Do not try to engage gears untill the idle is down to normal.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I find that sometimes my choke solenoid does not kick in all the way, if you take off the cowling, on the choke solenoid there is a manual leaver that you can push down and it will engage all the way, it should start straight away .....

James R

Commander

Hi DJC.Slight adjustment on the choke sol bracket often cures that problem.Worn butterfly machanisms can cause the same problem but this would be rare with the Suzuki.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Thanx for the info James, I am so lazy these days that I hardly feel like working on the motor to adjust that bracket hahaha